A.I question

Help Support CattleToday:

TB521

Reaction score
This is my first time trying to AI I took a class 2 weeks ago. I have a cow that was standing at 1:00 when I got home from work. I could breed her at 8:00 pm or 2:30 am before I go to work what should I do

Yes I would go for tonight to get one in the bank so to speak and if things didn't work out you have time rest, relax, sleep on it and nail her the following morning. When starting off with AI just don't put pressure on yourself, be organised and in control of things.

Ken

I am a little late reading your post, but congrads on your first AI. I have found that the earlier I breed in the cycle, the easier it is to get through the cervix. Hope she settles so you can look forward to your first AI calf. It may seem like a very long pregnancy.

I have another question when I was synchronizing my cows I forgot to give one GnRH so I just gave her 2 shots of lute 7 days apart and she still hasn't came into heat tomorrow will be 72 hours after 2nd shot can I AI her and give her GnRH if she's not in heat or just start over with GnRH

:mrgreen:
TB521 said:
I have another question when I was synchronizing my cows I forgot to give one GnRH so I just gave her 2 shots of lute 7 days apart and she still hasn't came into heat tomorrow will be 72 hours after 2nd shot can I AI her and give her GnRH if she's not in heat or just start over with GnRH

I am very very far from an expert, and shouldn't even be commenting.
I did very similar to what your saying, I watched heats a month before and recorded them. A few cows I screwed around and missed their heat, so 10-12 days later I gave a shot of lute. It took some of them up to 5 days to come in. Majority seemed to be 72-96 hours.

This is my first year doing my own ai work also. (Hired it done for the last 10 years)
I've bred around 60 head so far this spring, and passing the syringe has became almost effortless. I still have some im not completely sure on semen placement. A few cows still give me some trouble, but I've only had one I wasn't able to get completely through the cervix. I'm very excited and slightly nervous to see how I do. It sure has been enjoyable, im very glad I learned to do it myself.

T & B farms said:
:mrgreen:
TB521 said:

I am very very far from an expert, and shouldn't even be commenting.
I did very similar to what your saying, I watched heats a month before and recorded them. A few cows I screwed around and missed their heat, so 10-12 days later I gave a shot of lute. It took some of them up to 5 days to come in. Majority seemed to be 72-96 hours.

This is my first year doing my own ai work also. (Hired it done for the last 10 years)
I've bred around 60 head so far this spring, and passing the syringe has became almost effortless. I still have some im not completely sure on semen placement. A few cows still give me some trouble, but I've only had one I wasn't able to get completely through the cervix. I'm very excited and slightly nervous to see how I do. It sure has been enjoyable, im very glad I learned to do it myself.
Sounds like you have done very well T&B

Ken

TB521,

As to your question. You could not expect great results if you AI results by giving GNRH at AI on the one cow. GNRH is given only for timed breeding protocols. All of the timed protocols require a CIDR and GNRH at the beginning of the sync. Make sense?

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl said:
TB521,

As to your question. You could not expect great results if you AI results by giving GNRH at AI on the one cow. GNRH is given only for timed breeding protocols. All of the timed protocols require a CIDR and GNRH at the beginning of the sync. Make sense?

Good luck,
Farmgirl
The protocol I used was GnRH 7 days later give lute breed the ones that come into heat then 72-84 hours after lute breed the non responders and give GnRH

TB521 said:
Assuming that she's cycling that will work just as well as what the rest of them got.

She's 60+ days post calving I figured she's already cycling that's why I wasn't worried about trying to catch her again when I forgot to give her the GnRH but she's still not in heat

TB521 said:
She's 60+ days post calving I figured she's already cycling that's why I wasn't worried about trying to catch her again when I forgot to give her the GnRH but she's still not in heat
If you like your cleanup bull then just go ahead and AI with gnrh. If not then gnrh plus a cidr and then a week later pull it and give lut.

TB-- draw blood at 28 days bred and send it off to SEK Genetics for Biopryn. Fastest, cheapest way to find out who's pregnant and who needs more attention.

TwoByrdsMG said:
TB-- draw blood at 28 days bred and send it off to SEK Genetics for Biopryn. Fastest, cheapest way to find out who's pregnant and who needs more attention.

Agreed. This has been my go to method. It's easy, costs a few bucks per head, no vet involved, and accurate.

the GnRH isn't a big deal. some years I use it and some years I do not. have not noticed any difference between the two. If you see any signs of heat like clear mucus discharge or her walking around smelling other cows, you can breed and hope for the best. if no signs, I would insert a CIDR and lute.

TwoByrdsMG said:

I've been watching for heat have had 2 out of 10 so far comeback into heat. It's been 22 days since the first one I bred and 19 since TAI. I preg check in the fall and do it my self I hate paying for something I can do my self

Latest posts