A.i. tank questions

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
A friend of mine had the tank attached in the pictures and said I could use it. However he said he wasn't sure that it is still good. So I plan to take the tank today ro get it filled and plan to go back in 2 days to get topped off. At that point what should my measurements be to be considered good or bad. Also is there part of the lid missing, most of the pictures I see online show the plug and then another lid over it. Thanks in advance for the help as we are preparing for our first A.I.

I think the kid is made to the plug, old. In 2 days you shouldn't notice any drop if they fill it slow, get something to measure after its filled, then 2 days measure it again. Mine looses about 3 liters a month, I'd guess 3 inches or so.

I was told if your tank is bad it will form frost on the ground around the base. I always watch it closely when I get it filled each year as well as measure the height.

Ken

I weigh mine, roughly 800grams a litre. Mine loses about 4-5 litres a month. We don't use canes, just goblets in open cannisters, if i let it get too low they float out when filling. Have a few straws in the bottom as a result, pretty easy to tip up and get out, just need a couple of foam boxes and some extra nitrogen.

Man, I don't know the answer specifically but as important as semen is in an AI scenario and the impact if you are wrong? The cost of the semen as a loss is going to be tiny compared to the lost pounds, lack of early pregnancies, not getting the genetics you want when the AI semen fails, etc.

I might honestly consider buying a new tank. They last a LONG time and will pay for themselves in a season if that tank is bad and you lose everything.

I agree about cost of lost semen vs. cost of a new tank. I store my tank in a wooden cabinet about 4 inches off the floor. Last winter I left the door open and a racoon must have pushed the tank out of the cabinet. tank was getting close to fill time, so weight was light enough for that to happen. The first thing that I thought of when I saw the tank laying on its side outside the cabinet was if I lost remaining nitrogen and ruined the semen. damage to the tank was not on my mind. tank still had some nitrogen in it when I sat back upright and semen survived. I did check the nitrogen level often after getting it refilled. I bought my tank used about 30 years ago and it still works fine. I don't think their is much to go wrong with them unless it has some visual damage that you can see. broken part on lid would not worry me. the Styrofoam stopper is your main insulator to keep nitrogen from evaporating out. I think the lid just hold the stopper down.

Latest posts