Tank organization

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think that is too much time especially with .25ml straws. The only way I've seen it done is the goblet straight into a shallow bath of liquid N as in your bread loaf pan and all the sorting done submerged.
It often has me thinking with some of these old and often very expensive semen kept in private tanks, how well it has been handled and is it still OK as a result.

Ken

I would not be comfortable doing that. why do you need to sort a straw out from the canister or rack that it is in? each rack should be marked with the bull code and that should be the only semen in that rack. when I do my inventory, I lift the canister to the frost line to verify the bull code, as quickly as possible, I then lift the rack to see how many straws are left. if the number matches my inventory sheet, back to the bottom and on to the next.

I would not be comfortable doing that. why do you need to sort a straw out from the canister or rack that it is in? each rack should be marked with the bull code and that should be the only semen in that rack. when I do my inventory, I lift the canister to the frost line to verify the bull code, as quickly as possible, I then lift the rack to see how many straws are left. if the number matches my inventory sheet, back to the bottom and on to the next.
In the perfect world you are correct. When my AI tech past away I bought a few straws. His son put them in my tank I was at work. There was Hoover Dam in the bottom of one cane with Absolute in the top. Old Hereford in another cane. It's simple in canisters 1-5, #6 is a $%$#show.

In the perfect world you are correct. When my AI tech past away I bought a few straws. His son put them in my tank I was at work. There was Hoover Dam in the bottom of one cane with Absolute in the top. Old Hereford in another cane. It's simple in canisters 1-5, #6 is a $%$#show.
now it makes sense. I would find some one with a tank (maybe current AI tech or neighbor with a tank.) set both tanks side by side. have empty racks in second tank with bull codes written on top of racks. make a note of the numbers of the empty racks. one person has canister with empty rack ready to insert straw from unknown straw in your canister #6. you should be able to read which bull's straw you remove from #6 as you move it over to waiting rack in the second tank. write down which bull is in the new rack on your note. numbers won't match but you can use your notes to retrieve the straw you want. when all straws are identified, move them back into your tank. you could do about the same thing with just one tank if your #6 rack has enough room for the empty racks but you will still need two people. like Ken posted, .25ml straws have a very short time that they can be out.

if you know someone with a walk-in cold storage area, you could do as you planned without worrying about the semen thawing out. the colder the better.

Latest posts