3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

Mira's eyesight is pretty much half bar. She's not blind but she does have very poor vision to the point she even ran into my dad on the tractor. So we've opted to keep her up in the lot until she's ready to be sold since she'd probably break her leg if we let her in the fields. Or she could be completely fine. We're being cautious.

Otherwise she's good. She eats fully grass now and she drinks water. She turned six months on the 27th so she's a big girl now. She's getting a bath from me soon because she's very dirty lol.

You have done a fantastic job, not JUST keeping her alive, but getting her as healthy as possible. Won't be long before you are one of the experienced members on these boards giving valuable information to other beginners. Again , great job Liz.

Been awhile so I felt like updating you all. Again, I treat this as a log for myself that'll hopefully help others.

So I started a new job working the night shift and I had to leave Mira's care to the farm hand until I got adjusted and didn't wanna pass out every hour.... Yeah well my farm hand is good as a farm hand but his detail on taking care of the cows is about skimming the "passing grade" percentage.

I had been able to save Mira from the swarming of flies. I spoiled her and would brush her down after hooking her up with her halter. But now her poor fuzzy coat is all matted and she's got so many flies and even after combing her down this morning, they're still terrible on her... If anyone has any suggestions to help her not be so swarmed up or if anyone knows away to help out (I know they make ear tags for that but wondering if there's something else I can use?) that would be fantastic and appreciated.

Also her water bucket was drained somehow and she was thirsty as a man in the desert for water. I sent my farm hand a lengthy chew out about that too don't worry. Jesus.

Since it's been two weeks, I got attacked with love (and ouchies) from Mira this morning. No matter how I discipline her, Mira still tries to knock me over like I'm a cow like her. She's six months! That's way too big a cow to have at you lol. But I wasn't too mad this time since it's been two weeks.

Her eyesight- from current observation- is still about the same. Not the best but she's not blind. She's showing a clean bill of health as far as I've checked off so woohoo on that.

Again if you all have fly control suggestions that'd be awesome!

Absorbine UltraShield works pretty good too.. I find it more readily available than UltraBoss around my parts.

I find I can dilute it with water significantly and it's still very effective.. I suggest having a small sponge and wetting the sponge, then rubbing her down with it.. they HATE spritzy sprays!

Nesikep":38ysp1jf said:
Absorbine UltraShield works pretty good too.. I find it more readily available than UltraBoss around my parts.

I find I can dilute it with water significantly and it's still very effective.. I suggest having a small sponge and wetting the sponge, then rubbing her down with it.. they HATE spritzy sprays!
This was the most readily available product around my parts so Absorbine UltraShield it was. I didn't do the sponge thing though and I think I'll do that. She wasn't happy with me on spraying her like you said! But I had to try. Live and learn lol.

Need to call upon you kind folks for a question again!

So Mira has been deamed okay by a vet and an experienced farmer, to be let into the cow lot. Unfortunately before either left, I forgot to ask a question I had and they're hard to get ahold of... So! Help?

I want to get Mira's Ear tagged what do I do? I know I'll need a tag gun and a tag obviously. But like do I need to register a tag number somewhere or... Idk much about tagging. I just know I want my cow tagged for myself and for others to understand that this is my moo project I raised dangit lol.

So any info on tagging helps!

For Just a simple number tag you don"t have to do anything . Some states require a premise tag which is usually a metal tag. These are only used to track the animal down the food chain. if yall tag the other cows in your operation then just use one of the tags yall have .

If you want your name on it I would get one of the blank tags and a marker pen made to write on them. You can put your name, phone number. ect on it.

No need to register with anyone. You can put any color tag with any number - even your name, tel. #, (like elkwc said). You probably can borrow a tagger & buy a tag from a neighbor. They will probably let you use their tag pen to write on it.

Glad to hear that Mira has gotten a good "bill of health" from the vet. Can the experienced farmer help you tag her before she gets turned out? It's not rocket science, but you will need a tag and "tagger" that puts it in her ear. She won't like it but will get over it in a very short time. Just a pinch real quick, but it will feel funny to her for a little while. Like an earing you aren't used to wearing. You will have to make sure she cannot toss her head around when it gets put in. It's quick, but they will try to throw their head a bit when they feel the pinch.

The experienced farmer is gonna help me tag her soon so that's good! I was able to get a tag from Orscheln and customize it with my name and phone number and address Incase she wanders off or off the farm lol.

I'll try to post a picture for those asking. It's hard to get this website to cooperate with me sometimes lol

Mira was finally moved with the heard but I'm worried she was introduced too late...

She's being picked on. Not extremely but she is getting shoved around. She was used to having her own watering hole and I happened to look down and see her go for the water troth, only to get slammed aside - hard - by a bigger cow. Plus her eye sight - while not gone - is still mediocre so... I don't know.

I was told it would take her time to get adjusted with the flow of things so I'm trying not to be a human cow mom and heard her back up to the cow lot with me but my bleeding heart about broke seeing them shove her around...

I guess all I can do is keep watching to see?

she will adapt to the herd rules. The other cows are just letting her know who the boss is. anytime new animals are introduced this happens . it will usually subside in a few days unless the new animal has its sights set on being the herd boss then they will continually push others till they establish their role .

Latest posts