3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay so I'll be trying the finger thing! See if I can get her to try at least... Although her suckling ability is kinda weak.

Right now my concern is getting Mira to feel better and wonder about her eyes.

If I run my hand or fingers in front of her eyes she will blink at them. But she won't follow my hand if I try to move it. I've gotten her to follow me around a calf lot without trouble and she can follow me with her head when she wants to. She even blinks and reacts to light like he sun or a flashlight.

But if I take Mira outside, she doesn't want to move most of the time unless she's hungry. It's 60 degrees today but feels like 58, high sun and no clouds, and 14 mph winds. I've let Mira out of the barn because she stays inside too much because it's cold.

I know she's been sickly lately so I thought some sun and exercise would do her good. But once you get her out the four of the barn, all she does is stay in the shade against the barn or lays down or doesn't move and just shuffled occasionally.

Again I know she's not feeling that well so I don't expect her to be leaping for joy or bouncing about but it's such a sad droopy sight... Am I being mean to her by putting her out today? I just feel like sunlight and sand free range would make her feel better to get some exercise in her...

Also I think Mira's front left leg looks swollen? The more she wanders around the more it looks off / something looks wrong... It's like she's misproportioned or something? I don't know if you can see it in this picture but here she is standing and moving outside (front left leg).

Am I crazy? My mom says she thinks the leg looks off too... Could be part of why she's stumble walking.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3p2u6ws2 said:
Let's hope not. I could not see an obvious swelling. Does she seem lamer on that leg or both front legs? Tell you vet.
She doesn't seem lame. I just notice that she walks lopsided sometimes and seems to be having a hard time with her legs. I rubbed the joints and she doesn't seem to have any pain... Could the weight she's starting to put on be a factor? She's still pretty skinny and I can still pick her up and carry her but I can tell she's out on weight so I wonder if that's a factor?

Also she does this thing where she'll crisscross her hind legs and turn herself in a circle sometimes. And her back is somewhat arched like a cat sometimes. Also she doesn't really stretch when she stands up. She stands, shakes her head sometimes, and then slowly tries to me. She can put weight on it... it just looks swollen or like her legs are turned in like she's bowlegged. Why I mean she was also slight emancipation looking when we got her so her proportions are weird.

Also she has very mild scours going on. It's nothing heavy yet but I'm getting 1 quart in her between feeds so she can get electrolytes in her so I don't know if that's a factor.

Another reason I ask is she doesn't like to move. She can and will move around. But not if she has to, you know? Again I know she's not feeling good so I expect some slow movements s being tired, but it's still seems like she has to think before she decides to move.

So that's why I'm wondering if her legs are messed up from sickness or if it's from weight gain or if it's something more. I will of course ask a vet just thought I'd see what you all think too.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":22bm5f67 said:
Antibiotics can cause her to scour. Did you get any probias in her? That might help.
No I didn't get any probiotics if that's what you mean by probias. Do I get them from the vet or are they available at an Orscheln or something? What are the probiotics names? Sorry I know this is probably a dumb question to ask...

Update on Mira: She's been eating her full eight pints (2 quarts) in the morning and evening. Today is her last day of Thiamine dosage as well. Our Orscheln was closed this weekend so I'll be grabbing probias today for her. I've been giving her two quarts of electrolytes twice a day to make up for it until I could get some.

I'm not sure Mira is gaining weight. I know she's bigger since I got her, but not by much. I can still pick her up and carry her easily enough right now (although I've akways been stronger than most girls I know because of my ability to throw my weight around when I need to). And she's drinking her bottles well. But she still seems so skinny and emaciated like. Granted she's been sickly since I got her (it's been 3 weeks today since she was born and 20 days since I got her) but still... The mild scours she has might not be helping. She also seems more tired (she always likes to lay around but now she's doing it a lot again like when I first got her)... Might be depressed to.

I don't know. She seems better in areas but also seems pretty off in others... I'm probably just overthinking it like you all know I do. Hmm...

Probias is just GOOD BUGS. Cattle function on good bug activity in their stomach. Antibiotics kill good bugs along with the bad bugs. Stress also affects good bugs. The Probias (or whatever brand you find) helps her system work better. Scours can be from imbalance of good bugs.
Can you haul her to the vet so that he can SEE her? If he feels she has Naval Ill, she needs long term antibiotics. But, if she truly had/has Polio, that might be causing all her leg problems. I have never seen an animal with Polio.

One thing about a calf's growth. You are around it every day and even with a healthy calf, you probably won't notice it's growth much especially in that short time period.

But, someone else walks up, hasn't seen it in 3 weeks and is apt to say"wow, it's really growing".
Might not be applicable, but I've found that to be true more often than not.....

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2sp5iivl said:
Probias is just GOOD BUGS. Cattle function on good bug activity in their stomach. Antibiotics kill good bugs along with the bad bugs. Stress also affects good bugs. The Probias (or whatever brand you find) helps her system work better. Scours can be from imbalance of good bugs.
Can you haul her to the vet so that he can SEE her? If he feels she has Naval Ill, she needs long term antibiotics. But, if she truly had/has Polio, that might be causing all her leg problems. I have never seen an animal with Polio.
Id love to haul her to a vet to look at. Problem is I don't have a safe / real effective way of doing so. I don't have a truck that works. I have a four door Ford Escape I could lay covers down in and put her in but the problem is I know she'll try to stand up in the vehicle because she'll freak out. So I'm not real certain I'd be comfortable with that.

Second is, if they decide I need to do surgery or blood work on her, I'm not sure I could afford it. It's the Holidays and my hours haven't been the best at work to make up having to pay out of pocket more than $100. All of Mira's expenses and everything are being handled by myself since no one else gives a **** about her because she's one little calf against 150 other cattle of beef... I'm the bleeding heart one so I'm the one that cares for her... But I'd love to help her out and have her physically looked at.

Ain't nothing wrong will hauling her in the back seat. That used to be the common method of hauling pigs, goats, foals, fowl and calves.

Update on Mira: She's been eating her full eight pints (2 quarts) in the morning and evening. "
Holy cow! Here we go again! Are you serious lady? I've felt from the Git go we are being catfished. Any way...Merry Christmas.

Kingfisher":2udkv6sf said:
Update on Mira: She's been eating her full eight pints (2 quarts) in the morning and evening. "
Holy cow! Here we go again! Are you serious lady? I've felt from the Git go we are being catfished. Any way...Merry Christmas.

The lady said she isn't good at math. I suppose this is just an example. Hopefully the 2 quarts per feeding is correct and not the 8 pints.

Rafter S":3dnlx1lm said:
Kingfisher":3dnlx1lm said:

The lady said she isn't good at math. I suppose this is just an example. Hopefully the 2 quarts per feeding is correct and not the 8 pints.
I think I got this right this time!

4 Pints (2 quarts) x 2 a day = 8 Pints (4 quarts) right? Cause that's what I'm doing 2 pints equals 1 quarts. I give her 4 pints in the morning (2 quarts in the morning) and 4 pints in the evening (2 quarts in the evening). So she drinks 4 altogether... Right??

Latest posts