your pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
do you fertilize your grazing pasture as often as you do your hay fields. I know we ask more of our hay fields because we cut them every 28 days but with no rain in a while I wonder is rain will be enough to jump up the grazing pasture or if it needed another shot of fertilizer

I hate to give the standard answer but a soil test can and will tell you more than anybody here. It only cost around $10-15.00 a test and who knows maybe you've got everything you need just some rain needs to fall.

alot of people do it different but i fertilize my pasture every other year and spray every other year. but this on bottom land my upper hayfeilds get fertilized aleast once every year. but if i had fertilize out now it would most likely burn the pasture as hot and dry as it been we need some rain

RAIN,,,,I kinda remember what that looks and feels like.

Actually we finally got some yesteday evening, My wife and I went out for a few hours last night and all the way home we would look for signs of rain. We would both call out everytime we spotted a puddle along the road. AMAZING how the lack of rain makes you act the way we do. The closer we got home the drier it looked until we got 1 mile from our farm and as we turned on to our road we spotted the biggest puddle yet.

GOD is still in charge and he does answer prayers, maybe not on our timetable or per our wants.

I do hope everyone in need of rain gets some soon.

Well as far as fertilizing the pastures, I must be the odd ball, because I do my fields 2 times per year and do a soil test yearly. I will have the COOP mix me a load according to the test for the first run and normally get chicken litter on the 2nd time. I do not raise my on hay.

I actually got very lucky a few days ago, I read an ad in a local paper for $10/roll and I said to myself that this must be bad hay for that price....WOW was I wrong it is some of the best hay I have run across for sale. I looked at the field it came from and it was the cleanest, weed free field I have ever seen and the hay was in perfect condition. The man told me he wasnt in the hay business and only priced his hay based on the fuel and fertilizer cost to harvest. I purchased all 50 rolls and he agreed to let me buy all he made next cutting (about 80 rolls) minus a few bails for his 4 horses.

Latest posts