Your opinions on this heifer please

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Could you all do me a really big favour, and be SUPER critical of this heifer. We believe she is the best heifer on our team at the moment, and yet she is being placed down at shows. Unfortunately, the judges that have placed her down have been the type that are afraid to say anything bad about an animal, in case the breeder is offended. When are judges going to learn that we WANT to know what faults an animal has, so we can improve on them?? The only comment from someone has been that the heifer is too heavy in the shoulder.

I would really like and value your opinion on what is wrong with this heifer. Thanks very much. And just so you know I have posted on the show board and requested opinions there also.

18 months old
MG_Photos_21-08-07_027.jpg

To tell you the truth, going by that picture, I can't really see much wrong with her. She looks as good a heifer as I've seen. If we were able to see different view of her we could possibly be more critical.

(PS I'll post my answer over at the show board to)

Keren:

It is very hard to judge by this picture, however she is very clean in her front but possibly a little shallow down though the bottom of her rib cage and heart girth. Overall she looks nice, may need to be fed harder to compete.

Keren, there aren't any real faults showing up in this pic. When I see a phenotypcally correct animal and hear that they aren't winning, I automatically assume they are structurally incorrect in their feet/legs. You need to observe her walking towards you, away from you, and a side view and be super critical on the feet placement. Is she keeping her feet good & wide on the walk (front & back), toes forward, steps in her own footprints?
I have to assume you have a good eye for cattle from what I've seen, but sometimes we overlook structure when we are so pleased with their body shape.

I agree with Jeanne, I don't see any real faults, I can only assume that if she has structural faults in her legs it will show up better with a natural pose and not when she is stretched out like she is when tied up.

The way she is standing I can't see any faults, but can't say for sure that there isn't any.

I think she is a pretty good heifer,there are a few things I would change in her. I think I would like to see her a little deeper in her chest all the way through her flank,it appears that she is splay footed in her front end and a little cow hocked in her back legs.It appears to me that if she were in correct position that she might be a little sloped in her rump.I also think she could use a little more scale for being 18 months old. That being said she has alot of good things going for her. She is a very clean made heifer that appears to have some meat to her. She appears to be a growthy type of heifer with alot of eye appeal.Breed her to the right bull and you could have a outstanding prospect hit the ground.
Please keep in mind that it is hard to judge anything from a picture,I might be seeing things that aren't there in real life.

Can's tell much about her udder development.

(her ears are too short :lol: )

I like everything else.

What is she competing with? That could be the biggest problem, top notch competition.

She looks like she will make a good cow to me. And after all ain't that what they should be judged on?
My first thought was that she was a little post legged but after looking closely I think it may just be the way she is standing.

They all should be judged as to how good a cow they will become.When there are ten heifers in the ring that look like they will make good cows, you have to start getting picky.

Her front third is hard to beat. Her back two thirds is plain to me. She's also not very massive.

I like her. It appears that the heart girth and flank girth
are pretty much equal--which I do like. She has nice
muscle, but is not globby fat. The competition must have
been superb.

I assume she's an MG

I like her a lot. The 1st thing I thought was problems on the move. She could be a bit deeper, and she could have more muscle in her rear 1/3. Overall VERY nice heifer. I'd like to see the competition.

Latest posts