Your Favorite Tree

Help Support CattleToday:

My favorite is the Live Oak because they are strong and long lived. They hold up well against hurricanes.

Another favorite of mine is the Swamp Chestnut Oak or Basket Oak. They get pretty large here. 16' circumference. Nice shade tree and big acorns for the deer.

Douglas Fir, cut to length, loaded on a log truck, headed to town.

I always liked the real big old growth dougs and red cedar. The ones that are 10 to 12 feet in diameter and reach to the sky. They are something to marvel at.

I have a question about a tree I saw in New Mexico. Maybe somebody will know what kind of tree it was.
We saw it the first week of August. It had a pretty big leaf on it and an old man told me it gets these huge blooms in the spring. If I remember right he said they were purple or pink with yellow centers. Kinda like a violet but huge! The blooms were all gone and where they had been ,there were these bunches of what looked like stringbeans. Long stringbeans!
It was a great shade tree and I had never seen anything like it. I have tried to find it online but without knowing much or seeing the blooms I haven't had much luck.
Anybody got any ideas of what it might be??

rancherswife":1mvod50z said:
I have a question about a tree I saw in New Mexico. Maybe somebody will know what kind of tree it was.
We saw it the first week of August. It had a pretty big leaf on it and an old man told me it gets these huge blooms in the spring. If I remember right he said they were purple or pink with yellow centers. Kinda like a violet but huge! The blooms were all gone and where they had been ,there were these bunches of what looked like stringbeans. Long stringbeans!
It was a great shade tree and I had never seen anything like it. I have tried to find it online but without knowing much or seeing the blooms I haven't had much luck.

Caster berry tree? That is what we called them.

rancherswife":3o41973f said:

That would be a catalpa tree if it had green beans on it. Paulownia has pods. Here, these trees provide good fish bait thru a caterpillar that eats the leaves.

Here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalpa

Latest posts