Your Favorite Tree

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
Got some tree trimming coming up around the house (it's a walnut) and it got me to thinking about the old walnut tree in Mom and Dad's backyard that I spent a lot of time climbing and playing in. It had a very low limb that I could climb and sit on when I was little and had a higher fork that I could climb up into when I got older a little more daring.

I've been partial to Walnut trees ever since.

What's your favorite tree and why?

Mesquite tree makes a real good shade for the cows, and they eat the beans that it produces, also you can grind up the beans and make a masa out of it to make a flat bread similar to a tortia. Also the cows and horses eat the mesquite bean and it passes through them and little mesquites come up all over the place, that keeps the tresspassers from driving all over the fields because they are loaded with 2 inch thorns, they keep the tire repair people employeed from repairing flats on the tractors and pickups also the heavy equipment people and chemicial salesman stay busy trying to control them.So they are good for the economy and for food, they are the perfect tree.

CUZ":3rwgdzlh said:
Got some tree trimming coming up around the house (it's a walnut) and it got me to thinking about the old walnut tree in Mom and Dad's backyard that I spent a lot of time climbing and playing in. It had a very low limb that I could climb and sit on when I was little and had a higher fork that I could climb up into when I got older a little more daring.

I've been partial to Walnut trees ever since.

What's your favorite tree and why?

My favorite tree is the mimosa tree. When I was little, my grannie had a big, spreading mimosa tree in her barn yard. It was huge and low to the ground. On holidays and summer evenings, the branches were festooned with grandkids climbing. That tree was a space ship, a train, an air liner, a house and a mad scientist's lab.

When it died, as all sat around and cried. I know that they are supposed to be junk trees, but they provide shade, they are easy to climb and they have those little pink powder puff flowers. They remind me of Grandmas everywhere. I would love to have one in my yard.

Longleaf Pines because they are a very pretty tree. The needles are up to 18 inches long and they make the most attractive cones of any Southern Yellow Pine species. Hickories, especially Shagbark, because of the smell they give off in the fall, their golden foliage in the fall, because hickory nuts taste good, and the Shagbarks are so unusual with that rough, gray, peeling bark.

bald cypress, live oak, turkey oak, magnolia, yellow poplar, chinaberry :oops: , canary island date palm, palmetto palm, longleaf pine. i dont have one absolute favorite tree, but i have favorites trees in different areas of the farm. i was thinking about that just a few days ago.

Poplar. The state tree of Indiana. Not really a yard tree, as it will shed limbs occasionally. Great wood. Naturally resistant to termites and other borers. Not for exposure to rain. ALL the +100 yr old houses around here are framed with green poplar (no kilns in those days). Works as easily as pine. Lasts like redwood.

Red Oak. Sycamore. Cottonwood. Black locust (aka yellow locust)

No fall foliage this year--unless you count brown as fall foliage. When we do get a rain or a wind the leaves are headed toward the ground.

I love palm trees. They remind me of relaxing on the BEACH. The don't do well in this area, if we get a deep freeze it kills them off pretty quickly, but I'd love about 10 of them down the driveway!

Live Oaks and Longleaf Pine would be mine. Both are long-lived and fire tolerant. Have two live oaks that take up nearly an acre from tip to tip and they have been providing shade for my family for at least three generations and am hoping they will continue for many more.

One with something on it I can eat! :lol:

Y'all may disagree with me here, but I honestly like Cottonwoods. I like the way there leaves flutter, it's gives some fall color, it has a cool look when they are full grown, all majestic, with a white bark. Plus they usually mean water.

White Flowering Crab Apple.
Grandpa and I spent alot of time under that type of tree.
Planted one of our own last year.

Apple tree's had many fun days as a kid playing in the Apple Orchards. and scrumping when my Uncle was not looking. We also had one at the end of our garden and I had a Swing on one of the branches. Oh! happy days.

Well, I have to add pecan trees. They make a good hard wood to make stuff from, it makes good fire wood and I love pecans. My parents have a bunch of them. They are mostly natives, but the former owner grafted bed ones on those trees so we have the big papershells and whichatas. My mother makes the only pecan pie I can eat. Pecans are good in everything. Except maybe coffee... And then I have bought some HEB coffee that has a pecan flavoring in it, and that's real good, too.

Only think I don't like about them is when the sap rises. Sticky sticky sticky.

Sugar Maple. The ones that are so.........bright yellow that they seem to "glow" in the sunlight. There are a couple near my kids' school... real old majestic trees. I just love them.

For me, it's got to be the White Pine, ever seen one? I mean one thats a few hundred years old. 8) 8)

I love the willow trees, just because they look so peaceful with there long limbs swaying in the breeze.

Gail

My favorite trees would have to be weeping willows, hickory and chesnuts. Or basically any tree that has been cut, split and stacked.

cfpinz

We've got one tree next to the house. I have no idea what kind it is, but we do everything under it. Grill, sit on a hot summer day, park the truck under it to keep from getting too hot. Its one of two shade trees in about a square mile of farm fields.

I like it alot

Latest posts