You can say what you want to about the black ones..

Help Support CattleToday:

I've liked what I've seen out of this outfit in the past, but I'm not very impressed with most of the pictures in this catalogue..which lots caught your eye?

I'm looking at the two Big boys on the cover of my sale book. I couldn't post a pic and took the chance the Internet book would show the cover photo.

So whats the big deal on these 2yr old bulls, they couldn't cut as yearlings? Didn't do much for me you were right Hillsdown.

Till-Hill":3ofao8lh said:
Not impressed. Every bull looks like he is very weak topped.

"Till-Hill"-

!!!- Either I have misinterpreted your meaning of " - - - EVERY bull is very weak topped", or you are perusing the wrong catalog! We are referring to the "44 Farms Prime Cut Bull Sale, February 28, 2015 in Cameron, Texas. Try analyzing the bulls from pages 32 through 51. The youngest of this group was dropped 3-26-2014. The oldest of this group was dropped 12-2-2013. They are not two year old bulls! Also bear in mind that a picture is NOT the most efficient manner to analyze any animal. Also, any animal (bull) whose present age is prior to his development of secondary sex characteristics (neck crest, heavy muscling which is in response to the hormone testosterone which stimulates nitrogen retention and the cessation of the growth of the long bones, etc. has a tendency to manifest a 'weak' topline - much like a 'teenage boy with a sloppy, lousy, slumped posture! Example: Current newspaper comic strip "ZITS", which brat needs to have his butt kicked up between his ears!!

But - they are NOT ". . . very weak topped."

DOC HARRIS

Mr Doc Harris I did not need to look past the 3rd page. If the front high caliber bulls they promote are that
"weak" meaning they dip behind their front shoulders I don't need to look any further so I apologize for saying every bull as I was very disappointed in them from their side view. Also a (HERD) bull to me by weaning time ought to be bull looking (have a start of a noticeable crest!) By the way I was taught and have observed that lazy slouch and by my meaning of a weak top will not go away and something I consider a undesirable trait. Thanks for the education on cattle in pictures. But in my eyes the bulls in the first few pages are "weak topped" I want em straight wide and sure heck not lazy looking!

Thank you Mr. Harris I'll need a lot more than luck tho. I ain't got daddy and grandpa's farm to run on. I got to do it from scratch it will take a long time but I'll use the knife hard and make sure customer service is top notch.

Doc

It is a rare day that I disagree with you, but on this I will have to do just that. I will agree that a young bull is still developing and I think the way the photo was taken has a lot to do with making these calves look weak topped. But when you look at lots 14, 15 and 18 there were a few others but I can't remember the lot numbers. The lots I called out do look weak I sure would not have used those photos in a catalog. All that being said they donated the foundation heifer at the NWSS, she was as good a rip as you will ever find and sold for 175,000 so what the heck do I know.

Gizmom

Who pays those prices^ And how do they ever get that money back out her? Embryos? Or just hoping she raises something worth big bux selling? Never see it around here.

What does a docility EPD mean when it says 1+11 ?

Dex

That heifer was sold as a fund raiser for the Junior Angus Association. She was a nice heifer but no heifer is worth that kind of money she hasn't worked a day in her life as yet. But you have to appreciate that is was for a worthy cause, a lot of youth will receive scholarships due to the donation of the heifer by 44 Farms. And investing in our youth makes the heifer worth every penny.

Gizmom

Supa Dexta it is probably an I+11 not a 1, the I is for interum number it could be for different reasons, if the parents dont have data turned in on calves, or an embryo out of a commercial cow or something like that. When this animal has data turned in or a genetic test done the I will go away leaving true numbers.

The link at the top of the post took me to last year's sale catalog, I had to go to their web page to find this year's sale catalog, could be why there is some confusion.

VCC":3gyexzs5 said:
The link at the top of the post took me to last year's sale catalog, I had to go to their web page to find this year's sale catalog, could be why there is some confusion.

VCC-

You are EXACTLY CORRECT! If "Till-Hill" and "others" will review my post on February 5, 2014, you will see that I suggested that you were probably reviewing the WRONG catalog! Read my entire post - and you will possibly understand that you were - reading the wrong catalog - the one for their sale in 2014, NOT this year - 2015!

The "APOLOGY" line begins here on the RIGHT of the CattleToday thread of this post.

DOC HARRIS

Even if it was a bad year for 2014 I looked at the lots thru 12 on this years sale. Over half were still weak topped. Sorry Doc. This year appears same to me. Needs to be a sharp knife used on that farm.

Latest posts