Yogurt

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
I know I asked about this once already ... somewhere. Can't find it now so could I please have some help again?

I am interested in learning more about feeding yogurt to bottle/bucket calves. Why do you use yogurt? How much do you feed them? How long do you feed it to them? Does being a dairy breed or beef breed make any difference? I would really appreciate some info on this. Thanks!

ok.. here is my take on this... we feed yogurt all the time.

DISCLAIMER-BUT I warn you.......I am not a pro, I am not a vet. But I used to play one on TV! :lol:

We start feeding yogurt to our calves just after we stop feeding them colostrum, meaning a day or two after they are born, and we feed periodicly through the time that they are one the bottle and as they are being weaned...
Here is our take on it.........

Yogurt provides most of the same good bacteria that probios does for the calf to develop a healthy gut. Helps to digest the milk better etc.

We use it to kick start the gut that way. when the calf is born, the gut is barren, meaning no or little bacteria in there. that's where colstrum comes in. But, if the colostrum is either not given , or not enuff, or it does not "take", then yogurt and the good bacteria in it should help to populate the gut before the bad bacteria does. ie: Salmonella, ecoli, etc.

We also use it during and after antiboitics are used, or alot of stress is going on.

Thats the theory anyway. :cboy:

I was told by my Vet to mix yougert and Beer - Dark beer, I don't no why dark but that is what he said. it is suppose to start a better appitite (sp) and get the gut working.

We use plain ,the reasons are.... I dont think the calves really care if it is plain or strawberry cream swirl.
With plain, you are getting plain yogurt, and thats all your getting. Thats all you want anyway.

When we feed, we feed several tablespoons per feeding for those first few days, that is in the bottle mixed after the milk is mixed up.
The same for calves that are going through, or just out of antibiotic therapy....

Our motto with this stuff is KISS! (keep it simple,stupid!) :cboy:

Never heard of this, but if you feed dark beer, well that's a dandy way to get rid of that horrible stuff!

Bez

No CK , not likely needed in the case of transition in older animals. the reason for the yogurt is to colonize a 'new' stomach wit hthe right bacterial. I wouldn't bother with it for older cattle unless they are coming off of heavy antiboitics to re-colonize the stomachs.

As far as transition from one type of feed to another...slow and steady is the key, it allows the stomach floras to change as well, in order to better digest what they are eating.

Thanks Medic, we sometimes have them get real loose when putting them back onto the grain, was wondering if it would have helped. I appreciate your input.

Latest posts