Yield Grade/Kill Data

Help Support CattleToday:

Stickney94

Reaction score
Looking for any data/information from really any source that provides data on offspring carcass yield grades and quality grades for AI sires.

Any breeders out there provide that? Anyone have any data of their own?

Replying to myself . . . I peruse another active board and I had noticed that there is a tremendous amount of talk about the cattle business up to the feedlot. After that it seems like real information or even anecdotal information is hard to find. In my opinion, talk of carcass results often brings up some odd hostility (to big, bad feet, narrow ends, not maternal, etc).

As someone that calves, weans, feeds and finishes -- I have all of those concerns as well as concerns about end product merit.

I have small sample sizes, but I am willing to say that Hoover Dam produced excellent carcass results. Some other sires out of the same cows and the same ration weren't as good. I can even say HD produced some carcasses that rivaled F1 angus/wagyu carcasses.

I agree that HD produces not only good females, but EXCELLENT carcasses as well. I've fed out a handful of HD steers for direct marketing and they were good! I have some F1 angusXakaushi that I will be harvesting the end of April and I'm excited to see what they look like under the hide.

Stickney94 said:
Replying to myself . . . I peruse another active board and I had noticed that there is a tremendous amount of talk about the cattle business up to the feedlot. After that it seems like real information or even anecdotal information is hard to find. In my opinion, talk of carcass results often brings up some odd hostility (to big, bad feet, narrow ends, not maternal, etc).

As someone that calves, weans, feeds and finishes -- I have all of those concerns as well as concerns about end product merit.

I have small sample sizes, but I am willing to say that Hoover Dam produced excellent carcass results. Some other sires out of the same cows and the same ration weren't as good. I can even say HD produced some carcasses that rivaled F1 angus/wagyu carcasses.

So what's the board , you gotta link?

Im zero help with your question.

I've taken a new interest in feeding out and getting marbling in the meat. Its definitely a different mentality than just trying to mash the scale and that's where it ends.

We should see if the powers that be can create a section for discussing finishing cattle and meat grading.

Stickney94 said:
Looking for any data/information from really any source that provides data on offspring carcass yield grades and quality grades for AI sires.

There is two breeders in this area that do alot of feed efficiency testing and also feed out all of the calves they don't retain as bulls or replacements. They both have feed out and kill data on the calves. I have two bulls from one of them. That breeder has a top performance son of Hoover Dam they raised that I'm using a son of. The progeny of their home raised sires have out performed the progeny of the AI sires they have used. If you are interested in names send me an pm.

callmefence said:
The infamous AI Sires FB message board. Lots of good information that needs to be heavily filtered of a lot of personal/my brothers neighbors girlfriends ex father-in-law's opinion :D

elkwc said:
There is two breeders in this area that do alot of feed efficiency testing and also feed out all of the calves they don't retain as bulls or replacements. They both have feed out and kill data on the calves. I have two bulls from one of them. That breeder has a top performance son of Hoover Dam they raised that I'm using a son of. The progeny of their home raised sires have out performed the progeny of the AI sires they have used. If you are interested in names send me an pm.

I'm actually hoping to get an HD son out of one of my cows this spring that I plan on retaining if all goes well.

Gardiner Angus has some information available and some videos with some lectures that I just perused last night. I know GAR, like SAV, can be a four letter word for some people. But I learned a few things that were helpful.

The Angus association does have both carcass and ultrasound numbers and numbers of herd submitted, but GAR's videos explained that you need roughly 7 carcass results to get to .45 accuracy for the carcass EPDs (not sure if ultrasounds have a different threshold).

I will say, I went and started looking through the Angus sire reports and there are a LOT of big name AI sires that don't have a single carcass submitted (they may have ultrasounds, but not carcasses). Made me rethink some breedings I had planned.

elkwc said:
Stickney94 said:

do they sell semen too, or just breeding stock?

VaCowman said:
elkwc said:
Stickney94 said:

do they sell semen too, or just breeding stock?

Sent you a pm.

We're just a small time seedstock breeder with a dozen registered females but we have been retaining ownership of our steers for many years now and send them to a feedlot program that collects harvest data so we can submit that to AHA. The one thing we have found over the years is that the more data you collect and more transparent you are the easier it is to sell bulls because the is a lot less guess work in a purchase when you can show actual results.

We sold a bull to another breeder in the state a couple years ago who also runs some feedlots and collects carcass data. As a yearling he used that bull mostly on commercial black cows while also collecting semen on him and using him some AI too. As a 2 year old he turned him out on some registered Hereford females and his sons sold well on a partnership sale last month with 2 other well established Hereford breeders including having the top selling bull on the sale that was sired by that bull and was sold to another registered Hereford program so we were really pleased to see our genetics performing well for them. They have steers in a feedlot by that bull right now they will get carcass data on too. Our current herd sire is a 7/8 brother to that bull that we collect data from birth to harvest on as well and his steers last year were the most profitable of any sire on that test so that is a huge marketing point for us.

If you're not limiting yourself to Angus...
ASA/UofI sire test results here:
https://shorthorn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sire-Test-Performance-Review-April20.pdf

We did a progeny-test breeding trial for Waukaru Shorthorns several years back, breeding a group of mostly 3/4AN-1/4SM cows to a couple of their Shorthorn sires. Steers were consigned to a feeding trial and we got back all the pertinent data... HCW, ADG, REA, YG, QG, % Retail product, etc. One of the W. Orion 2047 steers that we produced was the top steer in almost every category in the feed-out(115 animals, mostly SH or SH crosses, but some AN & SimAngus animals as well) They can probably provide that sort of performance data on most of their sires with semen available for AI.

Latest posts