Yearling Vs. 2 Year Old Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Had a neighbor ask me if I had any yearling bulls for sale this year.

He was as serious as a heart attack when he said he had been buying 2 year old Brangus bulls and his calves were too big.

He now wants to use a yearling bull so the calves will be smaller. When asked where he heard that, he said he read it somewhere. OK.

I had a hard time not biting my lower lip off. :shock:

Don't laugh.... I bet you've got one in your area just like him. :lol:

Yes, he has a job in town and bought the cows just to eat the grass on his place.

well you an i both know the EPDS tell the story on calving ease bulls.an yes some people think yearling bulls have smaller calves.an some people grow the calves in the cow.it doesnt matter what bull they use.if they feed the cows to much the calves will be big.

yes some people think yearling bulls have smaller calves

You have actually heard this before? :lol:

I've been around cows going on 60 years and I'd never heard it. :roll:

Guess I've led a sheltered life........................ ;-)

MikeC":2tbm2dyd said:

20 some odd years ago I got a dozen bred heifers in a barter deal. They were supposedly been bred for easy calving. Pulled every calf. Asked the guy that I got them from and he said he had used a yearling bull so the calves would be smaller. I asked him at what age he tought the genes changed and he coudln;t figure out what I was talking about.

MikeC":21xvj3qr said:

ive heard that all my life.an thats well over 40yrs.i raised a holstein bull that had high powered breeding.turned him out with mature dairy cows when he was 16 months old.an all that bulls bull calves was large.an his calves would paralize cows.after i figured out the prob.someone was always watching cows an ready to pull calves.he was a cow killer.sold him by the time he was 3yrs old.killed alot of cows calving.

Neighbor of mine buys bulls every two years, he only keeps his bulls till their 3 years old.

He believes that keeping bulls only till their 3 possibly 4 keeps his calves smaller... Don't know why he thinks this.. But he does

I bite my lip every time he starts to talk about it.... but he bases his entire program off this two year bull program and becuase of this he has a hudge group varied cow groups.

I use to work on a farm that got a new yearling bull every time they bred heifers, even if they had heifers to breed the next year, and the young bull did fine with calving. Sometimes when that happened, they would go see if they could borrow or rent a yearling bull, so they diidn't have to buy a bull two years running :)

Most guys I know use a yearling + bull on heifers. It isn't for low birth, but so the heifer doesn't get crushed. I have never heard of using a yearling to lower birth rates.

sounds like my neighbor who sold us one of the best angus bulls we ever had that he didn't like because all the calves lost their ears...... said that because the bull had gotten frozen ears when he was a calf that all the calves would too. What do you expect when you calve in the winter with limited shelter!!!

MikeC":2svfzk9c said:

He was as serious as a heart attack when he said he had been buying 2 year old Brangus bulls and his calves were too big.

He now wants to use a yearling bull so the calves will be smaller. When asked where he heard that, he said he read it somewhere. OK.

Yes, he has a job in town and bought the cows just to eat the grass on his place.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I really doubt I am...

Is it not your responsibility to educate your customers? You MUST realize not everyone is born in the situation you were. Not everyone had the opprotunity to learn so much about agriculture in general as you have. BUT THATS OK!!!! We ARE in AMERICA!

It would be nice if everyone could stop judging by differences and EMBRACE them.

I honestly hope this man can find another breeder that will put him in the right direction, rather than making him the laughing stock of some mean-spirited breeders down your way.

Is it not your responsibility to educate your customers?

This is not the kind of guy who takes advice. He knows more than anyone else. How do I know?

Because he told me......... :roll:

I had the ranch foreman of a large neighboring ranch take one look at my bull and tell me that he was not a low birthweight bull (he weighs approx. 2000 lbs.) and that I would have nothing but trouble calving out my heifers. He said they use a young black bull around 18 months. :eek:

And for the record I haven't pulled any of his calves during the 4 years that I have used him, not even now that he is older. ;-)

J+

[

20 some odd years ago I got a dozen bred heifers in a barter deal. They were supposedly been bred for easy calving. Pulled every calf. Asked the guy that I got them from and he said he had used a yearling bull so the calves would be smaller. I asked him at what age he tought the genes changed and he coudln;t figure out what I was talking about.[/quote]

Dun, he probably thought you were talking about when he changed size on his own "jeans" .
Amazing what some ppl think.

Shocking :eek:
Not surprised though. Ran into a know it all on horses, what made him such an expert? He spent the summer at his uncles ranch. :roll:
You can tell this person the facts over and over, but they are in a mind set and nothing is going to change it.

Personally I love listening to all of you, I learn something new all the time.

I luv herfrds":2nwzs4mp said:
You can tell this person the facts over and over, but they are in a mind set and nothing is going to change it.

Old and trite but true. "I know you think you understand what I meant, but what you heard is not what I said".

MikeC":s9kr43p9 said:

Do you have any older bulls so I can get some bigger calves? ;-)

MikeC":36ley6fl said:
Is it not your responsibility to educate your customers?

This is not the kind of guy who takes advice. He knows more than anyone else. How do I know?

Because he told me......... :roll:

Yep. People that think they know it all really annoy those of us that do. :lol: