yearling losing hair...fast

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I have a purebred yearling heifer I plan on breeding next week. She was in the chute last week for pre breeding shots. Noticed a couple small patches of hair missing, like the size of a quarter. She was poured late Oct. with Dectomax, but went ahead and poured her again. Today, the Mrs. notices she is missing alot of hair. One large patch on her lower rib about 12 inches long, and 5 inches wide, left armpit area same story, and a few various others, but not that large. The patches look rather scabby, like a rash or something feel rough to the touch, and have NO hair. Any ideas? They were just moved to a new lot a month ago, plenty of straw, and stalks to lay on, getting a good breeder mineral, and the same ration of distillers, hay, corn, and silage. Just one out of a pen of 63 head. Any ideas? Allergies? Moldy feed? Stress? Fungus? Bacteria? Treatment????????????

I've got a yearling steer that spends a lot of time itching himself on the fences. He has a lot of dandruff, and there was a few weeks where he had some huge bald patches on his shoulders, back, and neck. The patches were rough - sort of like what you describe in your heifer. I was a little concerned, but the hair has grown back in and he's looking better now. Guess it was just the winter coat coming out.

Possibly lice. This is the worst time of the year for it. Left untreated it will go away as it warms up. You can spray and it will go away a little quicker.

I would bet you a cool one it is lice. Poured or not.

Milkmaid - I would say the same for you.

Bama hit the nail on the head with this statement:

This is the worst time of the year for it. Left untreated it will go away as it warms up.

Bez

We have it now, too. (cattle-not the family ;-) ) I am looking forward to spring and sunny days with great anticipation.

Bama

Things I have received from cattle - lice, ringworm, broken bones, some pretty deep cuts, rope burns, a horrible sprain or two - and my personal favourite - a very colourful black eye.

Oh yeah - and a selenium imjection in my jaw!

8)

Bez

bama and bez are right. just sit tight and you can swap th e lice for flies pretty soon

I laughing with you Bez. I can picture it now.

"where did you get that black eye"?

"my cow did it"

"Yea,right"

If there is dry white scaley skin in the bare spots, I would be thinking it's ringworm. You can treat or let it run it's course.
Lice seems to be a lot worse this year than ever before. Must be the different weaher.

I have noticed on the RFDTV auctions, some high dollar sales, that their bulls have a lot of hair missing too. Of course they shaved part of the back for the ultra sound, they have large patches of hair missing everywhere. It seems to look twice as bad on a black cow to have a square foot patch of hair missing.

I use Lintox also. Sometimes I wander if it would have cleared up on its own as long as it takes the lintox to work.

Latest posts