Year 'round availability.

Help Support CattleToday:

sben222

Reaction score
If I were to retail locally raised beef at my butcher shop, would it be realistic to want a year round availability for it? Don't most sell all at one or two times of the year? Would there be product through each month to kill and grade under USDA inspection? I'm not sure how the raising process flows, but I would like to find a niche to retail locally produced beef on an availability level as going to a grocery store.

Hi sben222,

Most people calf in either spring or fall, with the calves being sold the following fall or spring. However, the calves at this time are not "finished". Most will wind up in feed lots and finished. Days on feed will vary depending on breed, sex, & other factors, but from what I understand most are slaughtered before 30 months of age.

For your local beef option, you could probably work out an agreement with some of the local cattlemen to keep calves a little longer if you could reasonably ensure the demand. These would most likely be grass "semi-finished" calves (unless you have a local feedlot), and I'm not sure that the yields and grades would be as good.

There are many people who know way more about this subject than myself, maybe they will chime in.

CAttle are finished all over the country. Feedlots have a rolling inventory of calves and generally have calves to slaughter at fairly regular intervals, i.e. weekly, every couple of weeks, etc.
Doing it on a small basis is possible, we used to do it but bought our beef in from one of the wholesale markets. But that was back when we bought everything by the side before the boxed beef deal got so dominant.

dun

sben....,

Unless you had a large herd with interval births and availability you would most likely need to get animals from local herdsman to fill the ups and downs of the consumer. A vast majority of herdsman DO NOT sync their cows and have the year round production avalibility.

Having a large freezer would help.

As a word of encouragement, a grass fed, AGED BEEF program,which few understand, I submit....could be an attraction in a retail beef program. It appears to be gaining popularity and receives a noted premium in the market place.

A niche market, along with a standard approach, is usually an advantage to a retailer for the bottom line.

Latest posts