WW Definitive 9097

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73

Reaction score
I guess it's never too early to think about next breeding season.

I ran across this bull today and i remember looking at him in the past. For me I can't find many faults other than low accuracy. I am looking for a bull to produce small to moderate framed easy fleshing females that will breed and raise a good calf on grass alone.

I look for high $EN, moderate milk, moderate growth, calving ease, CEM, HP, and Marbling/Carcass. Phenotype is also a must.

He checks all the boxes to me. I like everything I can find about him. Anyone know anything about him or seen any of his offspring? Feet? Does he look as good as the ABS picture in person?

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1834

Take a look at Pioneer Wave... should give you something similar with a lot more marbling/REA, higher $W and $B.
You still get some Final Answer influence but added carcass traits.

I've had my eye on Pioneer Wave as well. I really like that he has Gardens Wave on the bottom side.

I've got a pair of nice Consensus 7229 daughters on the ground right now and I used him again this year. I'm probably going to keep using him, but I'm looking for a bull to maybe breed his daughters to. 6EM3 is another bull I've used and like, but I would like a bit more marbling if I can get it.

For our small herd I'm probably a bit over analyzing, but I really enjoy the genetics side of it.

I have a few cattle with Final Answer in their pedigree, and like them for the most part. I am not familiar with the Definitive bull. His 4.3 yearling frame score and his YH, and MH, are issues for me. It may be fine for others, but I prefer more frame size when marketing calves, be it purebreds or commercial.

Have three Wave daughters in the herd here - two are my faves, but one had better pick up her game or she's taking a ride to town. Wish I'd bought more Wave when he was still on the market - moderate frame, moderate milk, high marbling/REA, high tenderness scores, crazy high $EN - but high $W and $B. No disposition issues - which had been a concern (he was at -23 when he first got Doc scores)

Currently using a Wave son, Gardens Next Wave HE17, on the few cows we're still breeding Angus... but first calves won't hit the ground til this fall.

-YH and a frame of 4.3 don't use him on small heifers for rep. unless you want really short animals. my :2cents: Good luck, Joe

freighttrain,
Used a Conneally FocusX878 bull here for 8 years... daughters were bigger-framed than their 1980s genetics Simmental-cross dams... some of them ended up well over 1600 lb. Used a few other 'mainstream' Angus sires... made big cows.

Not sure what my buddy WarEagle's plans are, but those 4-5 frame bulls have worked OK for me to moderate frame size a bit... we're currently breeding the biggest of those Focus/878 daughters to the Next Wave bull to bring down mature size and improve udders - and probably will boost marbling, ribeye, and tenderness at the same time; then will come back over those with a good Shorthorn, Simmental, or Braunvieh sire.
The Definitive bull looks OK, but I want more Marbling/Ribeye for my breeding program than he brings to the table.

His 4.3 FS doesn't bother me for a Cow maker. If I was looking for a bull to produce feeder calves he wouldn't be the choice. I'm a big believer in maternal genetics vs. terminal. I don't think you can get the best of both in 1 animal. For me this bull would be used on some select females to make daughters. The steers would be an unfortunate side effect that i am will to take a hit on in order to get the daughters that I think fit my environment. FS 4.3, to me, is fine.

The marbling and REA are the traits I am wanting to add to the equation. I really like Rito 6EM3, but his marbling is low. This bull is better. Pioneer Wave even better. I may wind up just breeding every thing to Consensus 7229 and not worrying about it. If his daughters this year keep getting nicer, I'll just buy a pile of his semen and quit worrying about it for a couple years.

If you're looking for maternal, I've never heard anything negative about a Hoover Dam sired heifer.. He makes pretty decent steers too.

If you want that type bull look at Sinclair Net Present Value 14311951 probably a little more bang for your buck. Makes good females, probably 5+ frame.

Just curious, bse... where is that 'bang'? I don't see that NPV excels over the Definitive bull in any significant way, and has less oomph in many categories..

I'l admit, I came about 'this close' to using NPV... but I'd already used his sire, NBPT D806, pretty heavily... and he shrunk the lleh out of them - had several 2-yr old daughters that calved out weighing less than 900 lb... and made them pretty hairy... too hairy for most folks with high endophyte fescue.
I still have several D806 daughters in the herd... as a group, they're mostly so doggone ugly that you can hardly stand to look at them until they get to be 6 or 7 years old... then they begin to look like a decent little cow...

I guess bang for your buck would be my personal opinion and for my use, just more bull there, acc higher more frame just closer to my type than a 4.3 frame bull.
I dont like D806 but NPV makes some good mom a cows at 5yr olds, and they will smash the scales as mature cows, if you want 1200lb cows he's not the bull to use, if you wait on them they will make good cows.
Still not my type, if he was a 6 frame id use him.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm not going back to a 4-frame bull either.
Gardens Wave was like 4.5 frame - and his daughters here are smaller than their dams - but I bred him to 1200-1400 lb cows with the intent of downsizing - and he didn't shrink 'em like D806 did. Next Wave HE17 is more like a 5-5.5; no calves on the ground yet - but i bred him to some of the biggest framed, highest producing SimAngus cows in the herd - again, with the intent of downsizing daughters, but expecting more growth and better carcass traits.

Latest posts