Would you ted it again?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Trying to beat a rain that is suppose to come Thursday night or Friday. Cut hay late Monday, yesterday was fairly nice and sunny but cool. Did not look like it cured a lot, but it is thick fescue, OG and clover mixed. Tedded at daylight this morning and got a nice sunny breezy day today. Wanted to bale late tomorrow and wondered if it would be worth it to ted again in the morning, let it lay a couple hours then rake and bale. I would only let it lay 2-3 hours since I am doing this by myself. It is only 10-11 acres. Would it be worth it to ted for any extra curing?

Might lose the leaves on the clover tetting again. I'd do it, before I lost the other though.

Same boat here. Cut 12 acres Monday morning. Tedded Monday afternoon. Tedded this morning.
Plan on tedding early tomorrow and baling tomorrow afternoon. Thick fescue, orchard grass, and clover. Don't want to get it wet tomorrow night or Friday morning.

As soon as the dew is off in the morning I would check it then ted it if it isn;t real dry yet.

dun":2f0allhn said:
As soon as the dew is off in the morning I would check it then ted it if it isn;t real dry yet.
I have always tedded hay that has clover in it with the dew on, trying to keep as many leaves as possible. Is that wrong?

tom4018":33lyerk6 said:
dun":33lyerk6 said:
I have always tedded hay that has clover in it with the dew on, trying to keep as many leaves as possible. Is that wrong?

No, I have read the same advice for alfalfa

Probably depends on how much clover. The only alfalfa I ever baled was in the Mojave Desert, there you bale during the night. Not much if any dew but the stuff doesn;t get so dry that it turns to dust. Cut it one day and bale it the next night.

To save leaf's slow the PTO speed down on the tedder, cuts down on the damage, and if you gear up cuts down on fuel use as well.

Latest posts