Would YOU come back?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Had a saddle club meeting tonight to plan for the O-Mok-See. We were discussing getting the arena ready and getting the rocks picked. Then the President came up with the idea of having a competition of rock picking. Huh?
Get a bunch of buckets and have the kids and adults pick the rocks in the arena. Have some prizes for the ones who pick the most or the biggest.

Now how many of you would return to compete in this O-Mok-See if you first had to pick the rocks out of the arena?
I can't get my kids to pick the rocks out of my yard that they drag into it.

Does anyone else remember their Elementary School days where we got to go around the neighborhood and pick up garbage.The group with the most bags got prizes.If you make a game of things anything can be fun.Within limits.However rocks could be pushing it especially for younger children.

hillsdown":3tzd8x04 said:
If you make a game of things anything can be fun.Within limits.
Now why didn't we think of that back when I was in the Marine Corps and we went out every morning to do our FOD walks!

hillsdown":3tzd8x04 said:
However rocks could be pushing it especially for younger children.
Maybe if you let them take a couple home as "Pets" :D

I luv herfrds":1fpsbpzy said:
Had a saddle club meeting tonight to plan for the O-Mok-See. We were discussing getting the arena ready and getting the rocks picked. Then the President came up with the idea of having a competition of rock picking. Huh?
Get a bunch of buckets and have the kids and adults pick the rocks in the arena. Have some prizes for the ones who pick the most or the biggest.

Now how many of you would return to compete in this O-Mok-See if you first had to pick the rocks out of the arena?
I can't get my kids to pick the rocks out of my yard that they drag into it.

I don't see anything wrong with it. My kids were always more apt to do what someone at school told them without a fuss than they were at home. Although, my youngest is pretty good about doing everything I ask. He realizes what an ally I can be...

I must be getting dense in my old age. I think the contest deal is a good idea and picking up the rocks hsould be just a normal part of getting the arena ready. No different then a day setting up the fairgrounds for the local fair. Just seems a shame that people have to be coerced (prizes) into doing what should be done from the satifaction gained of doing a bit of community (ish) service for the club.

If they can get folks interested I don't see a problem, I just can't see folks getting psyched up for rock picking. :)

Whoever is going to use the arena should pick up rocks. Really they should only have to announce that on such and such day we are going to clean arena. Everybody should show up and be there ready to work. It is the right thing to do.

It would not be just the club members picking rocks, but people who came just to ride in the O-Mok-See events.
It is a really rocky arena. The members had talked about renting a garden rock picker, then this contest idea. I'm not sure I would return to an O-Mok-See if I had to pick rock before I ride and getting kids and horses ready.

I am not sure about this that is why I was asking all of you folks out there.

Well if only a few are going to show up for the contest then rent the rock picker machine and divide the cost between everyone (members and non members).

Maybe we should look at this from the rocks perspective. Would you want to be snatched from your home where you have laid for millions of years only to find removing you from your home was part of a silly contest? Then to be thrown in a bucket and dumped into a ditch......is this really how we want to treat our rocks? :shock:

Back when I was riding bucking horses I rode in more than one arena that I wish someone would have picked the rocks. I know I hated it when the horse picked one for me.

umm...i would go back. whats the big deal about picking up rocks?....or are they more like boulders? and why should prizes have to be given out? i dont get a prize every time i do something and im just fine. its called responsiblity i think. if you want a good place to ride in, your gonna have to work for it.

and CHHSFFA, either im not in a joking mood, or that really wasnt funny.

JMO

hillsdown":2b2gr36v said:
Does anyone else remember their Elementary School days where we got to go around the neighborhood and pick up garbage.The group with the most bags got prizes.If you make a game of things anything can be fun.Within limits.However rocks could be pushing it especially for younger children.

You got prizes!! :shock: We just all got the tiniest little thing of ice cream you've ever seen in your life. :roll:
;-)

Are you using the arena? Doesn't matter pick up rocks, what's the big deal... Or maybe land on a rock. A few years back a friend bought a horse stable and the outside arena was full of round river rock, I suggested that they have a party and for evey coffee can of rocks they got serve a 16oz beer. :D I know some beer lovers that would sneak in rocks for that.

Rock picking sounds like a good idea.

Alan

CHHSFFA":nkzml47h said:
Maybe we should look at this from the rocks perspective. Would you want to be snatched from your home where you have laid for millions of years only to find removing you from your home was part of a silly contest? Then to be thrown in a bucket and dumped into a ditch......is this really how we want to treat our rocks? :shock:

http://www.savetherocks.org

Victoria":2n8lncm6 said:
You got prizes!! :shock: We just all got the tiniest little thing of ice cream you've ever seen in your life. :roll:
;-)

I remember those they were little 125mls of vanilla ice cream served with a wooden stick.Even the thought of that stick and ice cream again gives me the heebie jeebies.I think the winners got movie passes for a matinee.I can't remember because I never won ;-) .

This arena is almost twice the size of the arena we were first using. I am looking at the size. I can't remember a regulation size arena's measurements. All I can remember is it was 120' in length this one is twice the width and about another 20' in length.
You want to hand pick that????? :shock:
One member I talked to is all for it. I'm thinking the kids would get bored fast.
I don't mind running a rock picker.
You never know how many people will show up for the O-Mok-See.

Latest posts