Would you buy

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
Would you buy any of the following fullbreed Angus, Fullbred angus, thoroughbred angus, purebreed angus or purebred angus w/white face??

It amazes me what i see advertised

I'll bet if you contacted any of those people they would have perfectly good explainations why they are selling a "fullbreed angus" but wouldn't have a clue what an Angus really was. Not much telling what you would get.

You may remember a few months back there was a heated discussion on a three YO "heifer" on her second calf. SAY WHAT!!!!

If they were good and cheap I would buy them.

Some people may not have an advanced education, some may not even have anything beyond grade school. There may be good reasons such as quitting school to help out the family. You never know.

Beef11":1lupfx22 said:
Would you buy any of the following fullbreed Angus, Fullbred angus, thoroughbred angus, purebreed angus or purebred angus w/white face??

It amazes me what i see advertised

I might consider the Thoroughbred Angus.... I have a Thoroughbred mare I love dearly.... haha.

I swear i've seen all of those advertised i used angus as a default breed. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but sometimes its tough.

I had a guy tell me about how he "didn't want to get them overpasturized."

They won't cut this Texas climate no matter how many ribbons they put on them and no matter how much sugar coating they get. I still won't buy them.

Read for yourself.

Source : http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/brahman/

Heat Tolerance. Studies at the University of Missouri found that Brahman and European cattle thrive equally well at temperatures down to 8° F. They found that European cattle begin to suffer adversely as the air temperature goes above 70° F, showing an increase in body temperature and a decline in appetite and milk production as 75° F, is passed.

When I was a kid we had a local cow trader down the road. Of course he sold used cars, trailors and owned a car wash.
Any hoo. HE WOULD CALL IT ANYTHING YOU WANTED AS LONG AS YOU WOULD BUY IT!

most of the time people advertising something they don't know what to call it has found out it cost to much or is to much to take care of the animal. Most of the time it's the deal of the century.Easier buying full grown than calf because you see the end product.

Beef11":3s7moch4 said:

No, but I might consider a purebred roan Hereford without white face.

backhoeboogie":283qz0vh said:
They won't cut this Texas climate no matter how many ribbons they put on them and no matter how much sugar coating they get. I still won't buy them.

Read for yourself.

Source : http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/brahman/

Heat Tolerance. Studies at the University of Missouri found that Brahman and European cattle thrive equally well at temperatures down to 8° F. They found that European cattle begin to suffer adversely as the air temperature goes above 70° F, showing an increase in body temperature and a decline in appetite and milk production as 75° F, is passed.

BBB. Whenever I read things on cattle and temp tolerance. I think of that High Dessert Country in SC WY.

Big herds of Black Angus. It is very hot, June-Sept. Day after day of Sun and 90'-100's No shade, no ponds, cattle drink from tanks from buried water lines. Tanks are space about 2 miles apart. Sparse grass, these cattle have to cover a lot of ground, in the hottest weather. And those cows raise nice calves.

Yes, if the price is right........

The "right" price however is very subject to my opinion. What's right for me might be wrong for the seller. :D

mnmtranching":mfi9886e said:
BBB. Whenever I read things on cattle and temp tolerance. I think of that High Dessert Country in SC WY.

I've only lived in Rock Springs and Green River, WY. Don't know anything about running cattle there. I do know what my angus cows do here in Texas; pant in the shade in the summer. They calve in the fall and their calves aren't bad at weaning time. Calve in the spring and they'll be the lightest in the bunch.

backhoeboogie":2fj5anp6 said:
mnmtranching":2fj5anp6 said:

I've only lived in Rock Springs and Green River, WY. Don't know anything about running cattle there. I do know what my angus cows do here in Texas; pant in the shade in the summer. They calve in the fall and their calves aren't bad at weaning time. Calve in the spring and they'll be the lightest in the bunch.
the humidity is whats the killer.and the inability to sweat

I know a guy who purchased a herd of Angus and advertised that he culled the registered ones and kept the purebreds. It took me a while to figure out what he was saying, but I finally got it. He dosn't think all reg. cows are from pure blood. I just don't know how he can tell the difference.

backhoeboogie":c7m24p9u said:
mnmtranching":c7m24p9u said:

And thats what keeps folks like you in the cattle business. You know what works for you. 8)

ALACOWMAN":39ojbd53 said:
backhoeboogie":39ojbd53 said:
mnmtranching":39ojbd53 said:

Since when do angus not sweat??

Keren":2rckdicq said:
ALACOWMAN":2rckdicq said:
backhoeboogie":2rckdicq said:
mnmtranching":2rckdicq said:

Since when do angus not sweat??
Not like the brahman or brahman influance does their sweat glands or more functional. angus have to pant to help em cool down. if you see a brahman pant'in you know its hotter than hell

Latest posts