Would anyone sell their good heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

bse":2jl0ogu2 said:
I sold 14 bred heifers back in the spring there was 16 to choose from the other 2 went back into my herd, so he actually got first choice. Anything not good enough to make a cow was sold after weaning so the were all pretty good heifers. I told him every thing on my place was for sale exept a cow my daughter had shown, some just cost more than others.
I use to know an old dairymen that did that. You call and say you wanted 30 heavy springers...he'd pen 35-40 and tell you the pick 30 and the price for each but be a stated amount across the board. the extra ten would be of such lesser quality so he knew waht you would take and what you would cut. Sold hundreds of cattle every year.

I think when the herd is getting to where it should be genetic-wise, it's time to sell good heifers. In my herd that could be another two generations.
Recently I've been selling heifers at the average price for heifers and I've picked them out. My best don't go anywhere because I want to concentrate on the top 5 - 10% for breeding the future herd. I'm seeing breeders with superior herds selling up to half of their heifers each year - at a price.

Jim pretty much said what I wanted to. The only thing I would add is if everything I had is for sale at my price, what if somesone says, "Ok". The immediate worry is the taxes on the amount you just got for your cattle. Prices are good right now, but even if I wanted to, I couldn't cash in, couldn't afford the taxes. gs

plumber_greg":24rualvb said:
Jim pretty much said what I wanted to. The only thing I would add is if everything I had is for sale at my price, what if somesone says, "Ok". The immediate worry is the taxes on the amount you just got for your cattle. Prices are good right now, but even if I wanted to, I couldn't cash in, couldn't afford the taxes. gs
It's much easier to pay taxes on profits than try to operate with ongoing loses.

plumber_greg":17rri9q5 said:

If I had to pay millions in taxes.....just means I made a buttload more. :nod:

1982vett":27zlvoav said:
plumber_greg":27zlvoav said:

If I had to pay millions in taxes.....just means I made a buttload more. :nod:

Yup :nod:

alot of good seedstock producer have cow families and lines they want to perpetuate... doesnt mean the heifers their seeling wouldnt work great for you..

I have sold seedstock for over 30 years. EVERYTHING is for sale, we only sell as breeding stock what we would use ourselves. I price my heifers for what I THINK they are worth. The last few years, I have struggled to keep any for myself, prices go up.

Some buyers think the price is too high, some don't. We try to sell breeding groups when possible, with heifers and a bull, that aren't too closely related. That is why I need to KEEP certain animals, and can let some go.

Drought forced me to sell some I did not want to part with. There's one "why".

Seen some awfully good estates go to auction simply because the kids lived elsewhere and had their own lives going - or whatever. They dumped the estate which included some really nice animals - and heifers.

Got some heifers that are decendants of an angus bull who broke in. These are "awesome" heifers according to one guy who bougth them from me. In my opinion their ear was too short for this climate. Some folks call them "A-Plus" and to be they are "Brangus minus". Guess it goes back to the beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

There's probably several more dozen reasons why people sell.

backhoeboogie":669ihq3w said:
Drought forced me to sell some I did not want to part with. There's one "why".

Seen some awfully good estates go to auction simply because the kids lived elsewhere and had their own lives going - or whatever. They dumped the estate which included some really nice animals - and heifers.

Got some heifers that are decendants of an angus bull who broke in. These are "awesome" heifers according to one guy who bougth them from me. In my opinion their ear was too short for this climate. Some folks call them "A-Plus" and to be they are "Brangus minus". Guess it goes back to the beauty being in the eye of the beholder.

There's probably several more dozen reasons why people sell.
Production is what matters. You can breed some of that ear off as well as the excessive sheath adn still have pure bred brangus. I'll try to post some pics is I can get them. Hang on to those "Ultra Blacks" tho. They are great cattle.

Good looking bull SRBeef. The top cow is not my type however. Notice how she carries fat deposits on her tail head yet still has ribs showing. I've got cpl shorthorn cows like that. Much prefer the huth 'type' cattle.

All of my cows are for sale.

Massey135":xigc9bw9 said:
Good looking bull SRBeef. The top cow is not my type however. Notice how she carries fat deposits on her tail head yet still has ribs showing. I've got cpl shorthorn cows like that. Much prefer the huth 'type' cattle.

Is this an aesthetic dislike or do you see this as a trait that you've found goes with other undesirable traits? (The reason I'm asking is I have one like that, and I dislike the "look"...but...she is an Oct'99 cow that calved Sept'11 and due with her 2012 (2nd)calf Sept 4th...bred both times on one straw (and that's with me AI'ing...and I'm a beginner at it), raised a very nice heifer(88#BW, laid down and pushed her right out), good watchful mother, nice udder/teats, nice legs and feet, easy to handle and so was her heifer...can't help but like this cow.)

kdhansen":7m8midhe said:
Massey135":7m8midhe said:

Is this an aesthetic dislike or do you see this as a trait that you've found goes with other undesirable traits? (The reason I'm asking is I have one like that, and I dislike the "look"...but...she is an Oct'99 cow that calved Sept'11 and due with her 2012 (2nd)calf Sept 4th...bred both times on one straw (and that's with me AI'ing...and I'm a beginner at it), raised a very nice heifer(88#BW, laid down and pushed her right out), good watchful mother, nice udder/teats, nice legs and feet, easy to handle and so was her heifer...can't help but like this cow.)

Better cull her. She's not the right kind!

Most cattle with ample forage (like ones above) will thrive. True test would come when there's not that quantity. Notice the condition difference between the bull and the cow.. With calves that size at cow's side, that bull should be in full swing as far as covering cows. His condition, despite covering cows, is a testament to him being the right 'type'. As 3 way, especially, knows, cattle with fat deposits, as opposed to evenly laid fat cover, produce a less desirable carcass and are harding doing in general.

Massey135":agvwujbs said:

she's not boney ribbed, theres a layer of fat on them,, shes has the brood cow look

ALACOWMAN":i7dmnrqk said:
Massey135":i7dmnrqk said:

she's not boney ribbed, theres a layer of fat on them,, shes has the brood cow look

Thanks for the comment, ALACOWMAN. That is my feeling too. Cow #3 pictured is putting everything she has into the 87 day old calf she is nursing in the 6/29 picture. She has been grazing a dry pasture around nettles. They get no supplementation other than mineral.

I watch ribs as my main condition indicator. She has a layer of fat over her ribs although not a lot right now. Part of it is the way she is standing.

With the heat and drought I am trying to squeeze as much out of each pasture as I can. They will be moving to a pasture with more clover in a few days. With the grass turning brown after a week of around 100 deg F or higher temps, the deeper rooted red clover is about the only thing green in some pastures which have really gone downhill since those 6/29 photos.

But the cows are still in reasonably good condition. The bulls are also in with them. Asking a lot of a cow this time of year and weather. They are working.

Jim

She is absolutely in 'good enough' condition. That's not what was said. The bull carries considerably more cover yet has no fat deposits. This is a type issue.

Massey135":1p9lowiv said:
Most cattle with ample forage (like ones above) will thrive. True test would come when there's not that quantity. Notice the condition difference between the bull and the cow.. With calves that size at cow's side, that bull should be in full swing as far as covering cows. His condition, despite covering cows, is a testament to him being the right 'type'. As 3 way, especially, knows, cattle with fat deposits, as opposed to evenly laid fat cover, produce a less desirable carcass and are harding doing in general.

You think that bull is working a bunch of cattle in that pic?

Massey135":isotfcv2 said:
She is absolutely in 'good enough' condition. That's not what was said. The bull carries considerably more cover yet has no fat deposits. This is a type issue.
well hopefully what '''was said"" will be taken with a grain of salt

Brute 23":3p0bbzm2 said:
Massey135":3p0bbzm2 said:

You think that bull is working a bunch of cattle in that pic?

No. Neither do I see any fat deposits on the bull. He is 2-3bcs higher than the cow, yet still no fat deposits. Again, this is a type issue.

Latest posts