Worth the Money?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
After putting a pencil to paper, I tried figuring how raising and feeding out cattle and pigs would work. After allowing for the costs of buying a new animal to replace each one I kill, I figured that I could make a max of $250 a head on the beef and about $150 a head on the swine. This is sort of tough for some, but do you think it could work? Is it even worth my time for that kind of net profit? :help:

I don't know about swine, but I think I would be more than willing to settle with $250 net profit/head of cattle.

blackcowz":209m3bbe said:
After putting a pencil to paper, I tried figuring how raising and feeding out cattle and pigs would work. After allowing for the costs of buying a new animal to replace each one I kill, I figured that I could make a max of $250 a head on the beef and about $150 a head on the swine. This is sort of tough for some, but do you think it could work? Is it even worth my time for that kind of net profit? :help:
Are you running the pigs in the same lot as the cattle? If so your feed expense for the hogs may go down.

No, I could run the pigs behind the steers, as my dad did on his farm. However, many people I sell to really want to know what the pigs are getting and how much. Plus, another marketing tool I have is that they can have the swine fed on medicated feed. Mostly my chickens get fat from going over the steer corn again. :D

My question to you; If you can make (net in the clear) $150 a head on hogs, what do you want cattle for? 2 hogs a year verses 1 calf every year and a half or so. Something is going way over my head.

Oh another question, black pigs or white? :)

blackcowz":95g4llzm said:

I figure you need to put that pencil to use and put those figures on the internet.

You find a way to do what you plan and it will be well worth publishing.

Average profit per animal on a national basis is way below 100 bucks - and it is often claimed to be below 50 bucks - I bet most folks here on this site actually lose money on cattle but supplement with outside income.

I know more than a few guys and gals who would jump for joy if they could clear 250 per head after expenses.

You make this work and I congratulate you - go for it my friend.

Regards

Bez+

OK, I will get that posted then. I just raise cattle cause that's what dad has. He don't really love pigs. ;-) Black pigs with a white belt or white pigs with a blue butt is the most common out here.

OK, I will state right off the bat that the $250 figure does not include the initial expense of buying the calf. However, it does allow for you to buy one calf to replace the one you had before it. However, if you just figure on buying the calf, feeding and selling it without buying a new one, the figure would stay the same. These figures are based on what I have done in past years and try to allow for some higher prices in feed and hay. Over a calf's lifetime, I figure that it will eat about 85% grain and 15% hay on the average. Say a calf goes in the lot at 700 pounds. His target weight is 1200#. That means he has to put on 500 pounds of weight. Saying that the calf converts feed at 8 pounds of feed to one pound of gain, he will have to eat 4000 pounds of FEED. This means about 85%, or 3400 pounds of grain and 600 pounds of hay. Grain I get is sold at about $155 to $160 per 1000 pounds. This means the calf will eat 3.4 loads or $544 of grain at the $160 per 1000 pounds figure. Eating hay at about $135 per ton will mean he eats 0.3 tons, or $40.50 worth of unground hay. This brings his feed up to $584.50. If you gave $700 for him to start with, you have, without vet, fuel, ect., $1284.50 in costs. Now here is where I do better than most as a small feeder. I can get away with almost no fuel costs, and very little on the vet costs. Plus, the steers I sell bring $1.25 live weight. If you figure that for a 1200# steer, you have a gross profit of $1500. That's $215.50 net the way I see it. Of course, you don't have much left over for the next steer. Hope that everyone can see how I do it. This, of course, probably wouldn't work as well on a very large scale do to the high live weight price. But, you could still make $95.50 a head on a steer that brings $1.15 a pound. Also, my feed prices are probably a little higher than most, too. So this might be a fairly accurate average. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or different figures, feel free to post away. :compute:

Buying feeders at $1 and selling fat steers at $1.25 live weight? I wouldn't plan on those prices, as in normal times you'll see more like $1.15 for the 700 lber and $0.93 for the fat. That dings you for $489 per animal difference and turns your $215 profit into a $275 loss. Are you selling to individuals for freezer beef? That's about the only way I can make a profit. A neighbor tries to get $1.10 here, but hasn't had many takers. Whether you count it or not, you are absorbing your labor costs, facilities, utilities, water, death loss, vet costs, insurance, taxes, not to mention the lost opportunity of the interest you could have earned on the money and the money you could have made by renting your facilities to somebody else.

I tell you what black cowz I will lay a potload of 1200#'s in your yard for only $1.20 it will save you from all expenses and headaches of caring for the cattle. You will turn a $60 profit per head and never do anything sound good?

Sounds like you may make a perty good deal too! ;-) But that wouldn't work out 'cause part of my pitch is raising them at my place where folks can come have a look any time they want. PLus, I'll only sell between 4 and 6 cattle per year. I might be called a small producer selling to a niche market. :cowboy:

How much are you selling you pigs for? The current live price is under 40 cents a pound so a 250 pound hog will gross less than $100. You must get a heck of a premium to clear $150.

Yes Sir. (Ma'am). Most everyone is interested in getting a high quality product and helping along a 4-H'er. Sold my 235 pound pig this year along the lines of $400. Two folks split the hog and they're happy. I'm happy as well. Obviously. I guarantee I don't plan on running a feedlot when I start to get my own business on its own. But for right now, I got a good thing going, and I aim to keep it going. Just please remember this was basically a 4-H sale, only privately as a kid can only sell one animal at the actual sale. I wasn't meaning to brag, if that's what folks are after. The people are mainly helping me out and I'm giving them good meat.