Worried about heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have a heifer due to calve sometime this month or next. She has removed herself from the herd and is in some brush standing alone. She has been this way since monday. Is this normal....for this long of a time. I took her some cubes today and she came over and started eating them. What worries me is that she isn't coming to hay and looks like she is losing a lot of weight. Any ideas? There is a very small amount of musous coming out of her that makes me think she should be about ready to calve. Nothing has changed for a week, except her weight.

Any chance you could have the dates wrong and she has already calved? Usually the only time they seperate themselves is when they are calving and anywhere from a few days up to possibly a week afterwards.

It is just an approximation of when she should calve. Sure, she could have calved. I have not seen or found a calf. Her udders are not engorged. She is a limousine and doesn't have huge udders anyway. I have no idea????

If she has more or less than one udder and 4 working tits I'd sell her anyway.

Pharmer":1rg8hwn0 said:
It is just an approximation of when she should calve. Sure, she could have calved. I have not seen or found a calf. Her udders are not engorged. She is a limousine and doesn't have huge udders anyway. I have no idea????

It's hard to tell sometimes. It sounds like you are checking her on a pretty regular basis. The next time you go out to check her, check to see if one or maybe two of her tits are 'shiny' looking or smaller than the other two or three. If so she has probably calved, the calf is sucking and she has it hidden somewhere nearby where she is hanging out. Depending on how well you know this heifer's usual temperament, you can also tell quite a bit by her demeanor when you go out to check her. Just be careful and don't get taken!

Latest posts