Wormer question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Worked all the cows/calfs on my lease farm yesterday. They don't look real good. The mature cows and yearling heifers have diarrhea awful, hair is dull and not very fleshy. We worked them with covexin 8 and ivermax injectable. How long after working them before I can take a manure sample to check for worms, I'm scared it might be johnes disease but I always think worst case. Before anyone ask they aren't on mineral yet, the guy I lease from can be difficult to get along with more like hard to change his mind and he just uses salt blocks. But mineral will be out out in next few days. Thanks

A "guess" would be spring grass coupled with a worm infestation.What,if any,wormer did you use last? Mineral may help if a deficency is causing the hair coat to be rough.I'd think sooner the better for fecal samples .
Hopefully, Lucky P will see your post.

Ky cowboy":25kwffmq said:
Worked all the cows/calfs on my lease farm yesterday. They don't look real good. The mature cows and yearling heifers have diarrhea awful, hair is dull and not very fleshy. We worked them with covexin 8 and ivermax injectable. How long after working them before I can take a manure sample to check for worms, I'm scared it might be johnes disease but I always think worst case. Before anyone ask they aren't on mineral yet, the guy I lease from can be difficult to get along with more like hard to change his mind and he just uses salt blocks. But mineral will be out out in next few days. Thanks

Injectable parasiticide. You should not take the sample after. If you wanted to determine the worm load, you would take a sample before treatment. The Ivermac is effective. If you administered it properly, it will kill worms rapidly.

Diarrhea is common with the start of spring and green grass. The dull coat and low condition might be due to poor forage over winter. There are lots of conditions that cause diarrhea including Johnes which is due to a bacteria.

I used a pour on last spring. Can't recall the name it was generic. His way of worming them is the safe guard pellet he puts a handful to 50 lbs of feed, someone told him if they eat a pellet they're good. I don't buy that shyt so I used the injectable. I know the green grass is aiding in the scours, just aggravated me when I try to do things the right way and I have to go thru or around him to do it. But that's the price of renting

Ky cowboy":2qp3rfaz said:
I used a pour on last spring. Can't recall the name it was generic. His way of worming them is the safe guard pellet he puts a handful to 50 lbs of feed, someone told him if they eat a pellet they're good. I don't buy that shyt so I used the injectable. I know the green grass is aiding in the scours, just aggravated me when I try to do things the right way and I have to go thru or around him to do it. But that's the price of renting

The injectable is more effective. I use safe guard via drenching on the calves.

Ky cowboy":6c717o2l said:
I mainly wanted to sample after to make sure that the generic stuff worked as advertised. The brand was ivermax.
Here is the stuff I used
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... le-1-50-ml

I have chatted with Lucky about the generics. I can tell you what he told me: Use Ivomec!!!

Nevertheless, it still contains Ivermectin. You should be alright. Personally, I don't sample for parasites. I treat. But I do use Ivomec.

If a cow or heifer gets lethargic, then take action but not the time to assume Johnes disease.

A good mineral program is essential to raising healthy animals. I pour on that same wormer...for flies and lice, and then treat with a Ivermectin injectable at the same time. My way of thinking is, it's hard for a worm to build up a resistance when you kill them.

True Grit Farms":2i4dr3y5 said:
A good mineral program is essential to raising healthy animals. I pour on that same wormer...for flies and lice, and then treat with a Ivermectin injectable at the same time. My way of thinking is, it's hard for a worm to build up a resistance when you kill them.

That is a fact Jack.

You're leasing the land or the cattle? Tryin to figure out why you can't do what you want to do, with your herd.

Both really, he owns the original cows I retain 1/2 of the calf crop. I get all heifers unless it doesn't work out even and we split the difference. I get to keep the heifers I want on the farm. Split expenses 50 50 and I do all normal work. He did hire out some major fence over hauls.

The owner is actually a great guy. Just set in his way doesn't believe in cross fencing, purchasing bulls (he just kept a bull calf for years) all he uses is salt blocks. Tomorrow mineral is going out before I go to work

Thinking about buying some grain to feed to help improve condition. I found a mix feed that's 15% protein for $212 ton delivered. I think it was 40% corn gluten 40% cotton seed bulls and 20% cracked corn. Is it worth the extra expense or will green grass be good enough.

Ky cowboy":z4hyzuqo said:
Thinking about buying some grain to feed to help improve condition. I found a mix feed that's 15% protein for $212 ton delivered. I think it was 40% corn gluten 40% cotton seed bulls and 20% cracked corn. Is it worth the extra expense or will green grass be good enough.
Well the price is right but I question the crude protein level as corn gluten will vary from 14% to 20%+ and hulls have very little and corn only 8%. Would be a good mellow bulky feed though and really fill them up.

Bright Raven":27v3eu84 said:
Ky cowboy":27v3eu84 said:

The injectable is more effective. I use safe guard via drenching on the calves.
I like the injectable more than the pour-on.Not because I enjoy giving an extra shot but I know the de-wormer is in the cow/calf.I also like the white drenches.Have used some paste but its too high per cow here.
Been reading about the newer thought concerning rotation.The old way, which I've done, was rotating between the ivermectin class and the drenches.Now,they are saying to keep using one class until it doesn't work then switch.
Maybe you could get by OK with using one three or four years then switching.I don't know how you'd know unless you took fecal samples.

Send in a few different samples for Johnes testing, the wormer won't effect those results. Ideally you'd wait 30 days after deworming to do a fecal float.

kenny thomas":1kwouelh said:
Give them good grass and forget the feed.

I was hoping someone would say that. They have plenty of grass, it hasn't been fertilized and I need to spray to kill some weeds but the farm is way understocked. So hopefully it will be good

Latest posts