World's Largest Animal Pedigree?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ozraptor

Reaction score
7001 ancestors recorded for one bull!

I have just finished processing the latest batch of animals in our project to map the entire recorded pedigree for an Erica-type Angus bull
We now have identified over 7,000 animals combining entries from 5 countries' Herd Books

I have posted a list of these ancestors on our website @ http://linebrederica.com/

Is this a record?

Regards

Jack

Have you run your pedigree through a program like pedigree viewer to calculate the Inbreeding Coefficients? It would be very interesting to know what the average IC for modern angus cattle is.

ArmyDoc":2lm1h4co said:
Have you run your pedigree through a program like pedigree viewer to calculate the Inbreeding Coefficients? It would be very interesting to know what the average IC for modern angus cattle is.

The program we use calculates COR and COI co-efficients

Let me know how many generations you want it to go back and I will run you a copy

Regards

jack

7001 ancestors recorded for one bull!

There is a Char bull named LT Wyoming Wind 4020 that has had 7944 progeny registered with 2208 daughters in current production and bred in 855 separate herds.

I'd bet he has well over 7001 ancestors recorded. Well over and he's just a 1994 model.

Hi Mike

By ancestors, I meant parents + grand-parents + great-grandparents etc etc totaled (as opposed to offspring).
By recorded, I mean documented in one place.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

Regards

Jack

BTW - I can't fault your tag line :)

Ozraptor":f5zeka0u said:
ArmyDoc":f5zeka0u said:

The program we use calculates COR and COI co-efficients

Let me know how many generations you want it to go back and I will run you a copy

Regards

jack

I was just wondering what the average COI is for a typical animal today. COI based on a typical 5 generation pedigree can be way off if there is significant line breeding going on before that. If you had a really large pedigree like you're describing, you should be able to get a better idea of what the real COI is.

Hi Armydoc

Next time I upload the ancestor count document I will include the COI and the COR figures at the same time - I deleted them from the last list ( http://www.linebrederica.com/files/MEDS020208.pdf ). I didn't post them because a) they are meaningless to me, b) Greg Rhodes doesn't ask for them and c) I am not 100% convinced that the database program I use is calculating them correctly (some of the animals at the extreme end of the pedigree lines return a negative count :-( I have sent a copy of my data back to the developers/vendors to check this anomoly. But as I said, when I run the next report I will include them FYI.

I am currently waiting for information from the New Zealand Angus Association so that I can add more ancestors. If you know anyone one with access to pre-1940 US or Canadian Herd Books, they can possibly help identify some of the missing links from those countries. When I track those back to the Scottish imports we will be able to complete the exercise.

Thank you for your comment

Regards

Jack

Latest posts