World markets

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
The US competing on commodities.

We live a very comfortable lifestyle in comparison to our competitors
For example
I haven't seen a lot about rural Brazil but from what I have seen the stocking rates are heavy due to rainfall and raise lots of cattle. The quality of cattle is lacking on most but not all.
They are improving.
The country/farm/ranch lifestyle doesn't appear to be very modern.
Small homes, electricity is hit and miss, water may or may not be piped in the house and hot water is a luxury.
Old pickups and equipment.
They don't buy much
No fancy houses, pickups, tractors and equipment,restaurants, cell phones, vaccinations and luxury type things.
It's a pretty basic life.
Work and eat.
They can sell cattle for 50 cents make it work.
With our lifestyle, land prices, taxes and etc it can't work here.

Already the largest beef exporter, Brazil has witnessed a 737 per cent in shipments since the year 2000 and, according to the country's export organisation, has few challengers.

Australia represent one other possible world leader, but water difficulties make this unlikely, said Brazilian Association of Meat Exporters (Abiec) director, Fernando Sampaio, earlier this week.

He also said the US does not have much growth potential.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/news/48491 ... ive-years/

Cross-7":17vp42h1 said:

For example
I haven't seen a lot about rural Brazil but from what I have seen the stocking rates are heavy due to rainfall and raise lots of cattle. The quality of cattle is lacking on most but not all.
They are improving.
Small homes, electricity is hit and miss, water may or may not be piped in the house and hot water is a luxury.
They don't buy much
No fancy houses, pickups, tractors and equipment,restaurants, cell phones, vaccinations and luxury type things.
Work and eat.

The US after WWII, had one of the top ten standards of living in the world. It has slipped as other nations are catching up. Until the world standard of living equalizes, there will be a competitive advantage for third world countries. The area where the US still dominates is technology

Margonme":3v0gpvy6 said:
The US after WWII, had one of the top ten standards of living in the world. It has slipped as other nations are catching up. Until the world standard of living equalizes, there will be a competitive advantage for third world countries. The area where the US still dominates is technology

20150601_High_Skills_Fo.jpg

HDRider":24illyqr said:
Margonme":24illyqr said:

Does not look like we dominate does it? Yikes. The late great US.

I think countries like the top 10 in your chart, have a greater appetite for education. I have several friends in academia. They say the quality of education has been watered down in general electives. There is still quality in specialized fields but in general the quality of a college education has eroded.

HDRider":1m44rqy7 said:
Margonme":1m44rqy7 said:

Excellent post HD! My oldest boy graduates Kelley School of Business this spring. And what the most common topic of discussion by the guest lecturers, economists and business speakers is exactly what your graphic displays. Namely, in order for the US to remain relevant and compete in the global economy, we must continue to grow and develop highly skilled labor. Many reasons, but just a few being: we can not compete with China or India on low level manufacturing, and US agriculture will continue to decline and unable to compete with S. American countries, Australia, etc (for a multitude of reasons- many being self inflicted). They also made it very clear to his generation that the single greatest problem they will have to face is the natl debt (as unfair as it is) their generation will have to deal with the ramifications when the bubble finally bursts. And it will be like nothing this country has ever seen. This coming from the leading economists, business people and politicians of our time.

bball":k95snmak said:
HDRider":k95snmak said:
Margonme":k95snmak said:

Excellent post HD! My oldest boy graduates Kelley School of Business this spring. And what the most common topic of discussion by the guest lecturers, economists and business speakers is exactly what your graphic displays. Namely, in order for the US to remain relevant and compete in the global economy, we must continue to grow and develop highly skilled labor. Many reasons, but just a few being: we can not compete with China or India on low level manufacturing, and US agriculture will continue to decline and unable to compete with S. American countries, Australia, etc (for a multitude of reasons- many being self inflicted). They also made it very clear to his generation that the single greatest problem they will have to face is the natl debt (as unfair as it is) their generation will have to deal with the ramifications when the bubble finally bursts. And it will be like nothing this country has ever seen. This coming from the leading economists, business people and politicians of our time.

You made some great points.

HDRider":2hou85rr said:
Margonme":2hou85rr said:

Looks to me like the demographics of the people have a lot to do with skilled employment.

True Grit Farms":1jr3bj9f said:
HDRider":1jr3bj9f said:
Margonme":1jr3bj9f said:

Looks to me like the demographics of the people have a lot to do with skilled employment.

I noticed that to, and couldn't put it in words.

Cross-7":3ng07kt2 said:

For example
They are improving.
They don't buy much
Work and eat.
It is a basic life....and you are correct, if you work you get to eat.

1982vett":2x43gmeb said:
Cross-7":2x43gmeb said:

For example
They are improving.
They don't buy much
Work and eat.

Pretty simple concept isn't it.
Seems I've read that somewhere before

1982vett":23y7e1qq said:
Cross-7":23y7e1qq said:

For example
They are improving.
They don't buy much
Work and eat.
Having to work to eat, what a concept. Almost forgotten in many places it seems as all they know is the check.

Read the comment next to the *. That chart is nothing more than the percentage of people with college degrees out of the workforce if I understand it correctly. We know degrees don't equal being smart, successful, or a good worker.

Also, there are other factors being manipulated that are not putting the global market on a fair playing field. Give the US some credit, although we all know there is work to be done.

Problem is the "race to the bottom." We were intrigued years ago when we were feeling frugal; needed a new car; and saw a Korean-built one that we liked. We had always tried to "buy American" but this was a well-ranked, nice-looking car for a few grand less than a comparable US one. We looked into it more and the main reason for the price difference was the (at that time, anyway) lack of environmental protections in Korea. We decided we couldn't justify buying a car which was made on such an un-level playing field. We try to avoid foreign-grown produce etc for the same reason: if we have made the decision that a chemical or process is unhealthy for humans, I think it is both unfair to expose foreign workers to it (just so I can buy something cheaper) and also unfair to US workers...
just my 2 pennies, fwiw

I find it strange that Toyota can make money, and build cars here in the USA. But Chevy dodge and Ford want to move their facilities to Mexico. There is several Toyota plants here in ky and even more feeder plants making parts for them such as frames etc. The factory I work at I'd now in the process of being bought by someone from China. Hopefully not to be shut down, he's paying $3.3 billion so time will tell

Ky cowboy":2xru5lq6 said:
I find it strange that Toyota can make money, and build cars here in the USA. But Chevy dodge and Ford want to move their facilities to Mexico. There is several Toyota plants here in ky and even more feeder plants making parts for them such as frames etc. The factory I work at I'd now in the process of being bought by someone from China. Hopefully not to be shut down, he's paying $3.3 billion so time will tell
Where do you work? Alairis alum. was just bought by a Chinese company. i'm in hancock co. ky

China is going to be owning and running this country before most people realize it and it is a scary thing. They own so much of the debt, that the only way they are going to get it back is to own the businesses in this country too.....

Latest posts