Working system

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Going to redo the working system. Here is the area I have to work with there are two pens on the west side now that are 12wX20l. Going to build it to the east, have 90 foot to work with going east.

Let's see if anybody has any ideas that are better than the ones I've come up with.

IMG_7421_zpscf7d7de0.jpg

I can't really tell what that is,... where are these 12x20 pens now? in that rectangle I see off to the left? what's that diagonal white rectangle on the left third?... bright thing in the middle is a gate perhaps?

Nesikep":2yfgg03p said:
I can't really tell what that is,... where are these 12x20 pens now? in that rectangle I see off to the left? what's that diagonal white rectangle on the left third?... bright thing in the middle is a gate perhaps?
The pens are on the left the chute is set up right next to them but will be moved. The bright thing in the center is just a panel that helps make a pen around the chute

AC built a really nice one this year. We aren't quite through with either but it works real good. We loaded 4 potloads out of it in I think less than two hours and that included getting them into it. We've also worked quite a few through it and its great. Your area kind of lends itself to the design we have. I'll see if I can get some measurements or get AC to put them up if he has them in his head.

I wish we had a drone-mounted camera to show the handling system we put up over 2 years. Several asked for pics, but I don't have a good way to do it, given the space it's in. Our total area is roughly 110 X 75-80, or close to that, off the long side of a 100 X 60 barn. Inside that heavy fenced space are a sweep tub, about 30 ft. of alley with 2 cut-out gates, a squeeze, and 2 adjacent holding pens. 3 gates go out of the area -- one that is easiest for load out from the squeeze, another that goes into one pasture (and could also be used for loading out) and one that goes to a smaller pasture. There are also 2 gates that will access pens set up inside the barn. Best $$ we ever spent was setting that up, but it wasn't an over-night project.

Looks big. A lot of real estate tied up in pens.

If you have 'em to fill it all, get after it! :)

backhoeboogie":1p7x4vii said:
Looks big. A lot of real estate tied up in pens.

If you have 'em to fill it all, get after it! :)

Never have enough pens, seems like I'm constantly moving stuff around to have room. Want to be able to work 40-50 cows in a heat and still be able to hole another 100 close to reload. Just haven't figured out how to do it with where our previous setup is at.

Most I have ever brought in at once was 20. Most I have ever sent off at once was around 45. Both of these cases were isolated. Usually I sell 5 or 6 at a time to keep from putting too many eggs in one basket.

backhoeboogie":wixoknzu said:
Most I have ever brought in at once was 20. Most I have ever sent off at once was around 45. Both of these cases were isolated. Usually I sell 5 or 6 at a time to keep from putting too many eggs in one basket.

Worst thing is when we are working pairs. Having places to put everything just never seems to work. I'm ready to bring in a dozer and restructure some ground and facilities

Incorporate this set up in it somewhere. That is a time saver. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89511 I'm going to. Cut some pairs out this weekend and I'm convinced it will work. Had a gait that wasn't opened up all the way with my presence on one side, the calves stacked up in the v and cows went through the hole.

I also think you can never have too many gates. I like option 2 where you can sort to different pens coming out of the shoot.

A narrow alley of decent length leading to the shoot can give you an opportunity to deworm or vaccinate several at a time decreasing your work load.

If you're loading out of the facility, I'd consider throwing in some swinging double gates that you can open up and chain to the trailer. Sure makes loading and unloading them easier.