Work off-farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Just curious how many of the people on here have cattle and work off the farm. (So we can live!) If you do, list your "day job" occupation.

I run 45 head of beef cows, most of which are registered stock, retain my own heifers, and sell bulls through a regional group. Most cows are Balancers, with a few purebred Gelbvieh and Angus. I am also a loan officer at a community bank. :cboy:

bandit80":1sbo9r2b said:
Just curious how many of the people on here have cattle and work off the farm. (So we can live!) If you do, list your "day job" occupation.

I run 45 head of beef cows, most of which are registered stock, retain my own heifers, and sell bulls through a regional group. Most cows are Balancers, with a few purebred Gelbvieh and Angus. I am also a loan officer at a community bank. :cboy:

Ah haa....now I know how you got the name "bandit". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I too was a banker for 18 years then had to get a job. :cry2: :cry2: Now I'm semi retired and do some consulting.

TexasBred":1a324iz5 said:
bandit80":1a324iz5 said:

Ah haa....now I know how you got the name "bandit". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I too was a banker for 18 years then had to get a job. :cry2: :cry2: Now I'm semi retired and do some consulting.

Never thought of it that way, but that does work!! More along the lines of Smokey and the Bandit. Great movies.

Good thing my boss doesn't read cattle boards!! But I get my work done. :D

never had an off farm job. grew up in the dairy business.then got tired of fighting low milk prices an soldout 8yrs ago.now run crossbred cows an building a reg beefmaster herd.

I graduated college a little over a year ago. I have had a small herd of Registered Angus cows since 2003, before that was commercial. But I work as an office manager at a gravel quarry for my day job to support my cattle habit :D . I also am doing some commercial construction management training at night and on the weekends.

I have a small handful of cows back home... can't really call it a part-time or full-time job since I'm not back home often enough to even call it a job at all. Maybe "occasional long-distance herd manager" would be the right description. :p The only job I have now is being a full-time student, and I'm not sure I can call that a job either since the money is going the wrong way. :lol:

I work away from the farm. At this point i'm a hobby farmer. I work for a Telecommucation company in accts management escalation department.

Up until last June, both my husband and i worked off farm as regular route school bus drivers, and had cattle. He got laid off due to declined enrollment, so i work to support his habit of beef cows. But we also have bees and layers to support the income (from the loss of his job).
It was the best thing, him getting laid off.

I work off farm as a custom applicator. Sure not looking forward to the next 4 months of 14hr days. And that is just on the job. Still have to find time for haying, corn planting,calving, wheat harvest, and every other little thing that comes up. Oh well it always gets done so no complaints.

Semi-retired, full time, small beef operation CEO....have added some laying hens to keep me busy.
As long as the farm makes a couple of bucks I won't have to get a town job.
Oh yeah....Susie is a full time nurse.
Living my retirement plan.....married a younger good looking woman!
Dave Mc

I'm a farm and ranch real estate agent to support my cattle habit. Hubby has a dozer business. Lucky for both of us, we're able to do what we love doing! I can't imagine working a desk job in town.

Husband is a lineman, and unfortunately not for the Packers ;-) I am an accountant. My busy season is in the winter, which works for me, because I can only last so long, or when absolute necessity keeps me out in the cold. And his busy time is in the summer, when I like to work outside, which works for me also. I guess I have a win/win situation. :D

I guess I better not let me him know, how made I have it... he may think I need another job!

Michele

Old man works on the road building Processing plants, I work for a mental health facility and tend to the cattle and farm when I am not at work.

production engineer - manufacturing (weekdays)
Pressure washing business on weekends

For those of you in construction.....

I am a certified FBE/WBE (union) Mechanical Insulation Contractor (not wall or ceiling, but pipes & HVAC).... husband does everything outside of the office door, and I do everything inside the office door. Our work is all commercial... no residential.

If I could have ANY profession, I'd be an interior decorator... if I'd start charging my friends I'd be RICH!!!

Latest posts