Wonders in our own back yard

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Does anyone other than me often to fail to see what wonders are around around us every day? As country folk we are blessed to live and work in some of the prettiest areas of the country, but I would guess that most of us do not take the time to notice, myself included. I drive by this place on Cross Mtn once a week and rarely stop to enjoy the view, but as I get older and slow down some that is beginning to change.

Cross_Mtn.jpg

Just beautiful.

Guilty, guilty, guilty. There's too much happening to appreciate it all.

One thing I learned when I first got a digital camera, I first thought I could take photos of everything and after a while it would all be the same.
But then I realised that the sun rises and sets in a slightly different position each day, each day with its individual weather - two photos are *never* the same.
Decided yesterday evening not to take my camera when fetching the cows for evening milking "the sun is too high and bright". Reached the herd and instantly realised that my cows were sparkling like jewels in their reds, yellows, browns and black after the heavy rain and under that harsh light. Wished I'd had the camera; they'll be dusty again in a day or so.

Guilty! I get wound up and go like a chicken with my head cut off and get a serious case of tunnel vision and then I'll be doing something out in the orchard or at the ranch and I find myself strolling around bird watching or tracking an animal and after an hour or so all that stuff that was weighing on me doesn't seem so important anymore.
Thanks for sharing the picture.

Guilty as well.. The last while between the icy crisp cold and the warm thick fog there's been some wonderful views here... they are fleeting moments and everything can change in a few seconds

Bigfoot":604omx4u said:
Holler on my place

That aint no holler there bigfoot. Thats a canyon. Lol. I have several pictures from that holler. That is a beautiful place for sure. Deepsouth and I took pictures with littlefoot there when we was hunting.

Shane,
I don't even have a fence across the back of my place. A cow couldn't get down in there, if it wanted to.

hillbilly beef man":wybszgvs said:
Does anyone other than me often to fail to see what wonders are around around us every day? As country folk we are blessed to live and work in some of the prettiest areas of the country, but I would guess that most of us do not take the time to notice, myself included. I drive by this place on Cross Mtn once a week and rarely stop to enjoy the view, but as I get older and slow down some that is beginning to change.

Cross_Mtn.jpg
Very pretty.....lucky you

Beautiful places and two beautiful little girls. We all need to slow down and take time to enjoy the beauty of each sunrise and sunset every day. Plus enjoy the lovely scenery around us. We had a gorgeous full moon Sunday night. I could have looked and looked, but hurried on inside to the busyness of the evening.

hillbilly beef man":19xtq229 said:

Cross_Mtn.jpg

That is an incredibly good photo.

Reminds me of back in my truck driving days. Was headed south on 79 through West Virginia. Caught up with a couple 0f camper trailers And couldn't get around them. If you are or were a truck driver you know the feeling I had having to slow down behind them.
This was back in the CB radio days. After following behind them for about 30 miles or so I finally got to paying attention to them talking on the CB. There we're two ladies pointing out the scenery and oohing and awwwing about how pretty it was. I soon got to looking myself.
I going to have to say I've travled that highway many times and never new it was as beautiful as it was when they we're pointing it out.

I went up hwy 229 up Linville Mountain once in a 1973 f-600 with that little 160 hp 330 v8 grossing 27,000 lb. I never got out of second gear on the entire grade. It was amazing what I noticed on that climb at 8 mph.