Wondering

Help Support CattleToday:

Hippie Rancher":1062asoy said:
whatsupdoc3":1062asoy said:
. I can honestly say I look back over the years and not one person I went to school with or who has followed us has been guilty of any of that stuff.

What does this mean - you don't know anybody now that has stolen for drugs or killed their parents for inheritance?

Just because you didn't know anybody then, doesn't mean it didn't happen - give me a year and I will find a story. It just seems worse now because it is in your face through the media. It happened then, too. People been doing awful things to each other forever.
++

My county has had the same population since 1950. In 1950 there was a 4 cell dungeon. A sheriff and one deputy. Today, we have a 75 bed jail, a sheriff and 12 deputies. I don't think people are worse than they used to be. Just more likely to be arrested.

Cuastic I know about straightening nails. I hope to never use such things again.

That reminded me of cleaning out Grandaddy's shed. I got the chore after he passed on. Grandmother wanted it emptied. Anyway, every spark plug he ever pulled was there in a cabinet. Seems he'd pull a new one out of the box, and put the old one in its place and then back in the big box. It was the same thing with a set of points or condenser, or practically anything. It seems like I remembered him telling me he couldn't get some of that stuff during the war and there was no need to throw it away. He might need it some day.

My wife's grandad had a lot of nickels. But he would never buy a needle to sew toad sacks. He'd make one. He'd get him a piece of number 9 wire or else one of those old nails and go to the anvil. Pound it flat, drill an eye, shape it, and buff the burrs off with a file and then emory rock.

I've never pulled on a cross cut saw, but I have my grandaddy's. I have a lot of old tools, black smith tools, and things I have picked up over the years. It is amazing at some of the things those old codgers could build and do. They didn't waste anything.

backhoeboogie":2tbrh5zr said:
Cuastic I know about straightening nails. I hope to never use such things again.

That reminded me of cleaning out Grandaddy's shed. I got the chore after he passed on. Grandmother wanted it emptied. Anyway, every spark plug he ever pulled was there in a cabinet. Seems he'd pull a new one out of the box, and put the old one in its place and then back in the big box. It was the same thing with a set of points or condenser, or practically anything. It seems like I remembered him telling me he couldn't get some of that stuff during the war and there was no need to throw it away. He might need it some day.

My wife's grandad had a lot of nickels. But he would never buy a needle to sew toad sacks. He'd make one. He'd get him a piece of number 9 wire or else one of those old nails and go to the anvil. Pound it flat, drill an eye, shape it, and buff the burrs off with a file and then emory rock.

I've never pulled on a cross cut saw, but I have my grandaddy's. I have a lot of old tools, black smith tools, and things I have picked up over the years. It is amazing at some of the things those old codgers could build and do. They didn't waste anything.

Good post.

i still got his cotton scales, saddle and such. i got his walet, drivers licence and where he practiced his signiture. i had his cross cut saw as a feature in my last house. i still can find bolts and nuts i need from where he left them.

i still straighten old nails. i have had folks laugh at me about that.

He was born May 12,1907. I miss him.

I hope interest rates don't go up like they did in the 70s, if they do I'll be in the same shape that guys were then . Proportionally I probably have less debt than most did at that time but, look at the cost of everything else . I have 2 young fellas hired to help, one makes 10$ an hour the other makes 7 I'll bet for 17$ those 2 couldn't straighten a dollars worth of nails .

Larry

larryshoat":2nlwyx3y said:
I have 2 young fellas hired to help, one makes 10$ an hour the other makes 7 I'll bet for 17$ those 2 couldn't straighten a dollars worth of nails .

Larry

hmm. I hope you didn't hire them for that.

Wewild":x0aifhjo said:
larryshoat":x0aifhjo said:
I have 2 young fellas hired to help, one makes 10$ an hour the other makes 7 I'll bet for 17$ those 2 couldn't straighten a dollars worth of nails .

Larry

hmm. I hope you didn't hire them for that.
No Wewild I didn't, I do wonder sometimes what their area of expertise is . They drive me crazy but, are probably some of the best help you can find . On their own I doubt that they could make back their wages .

Larry

Hippie Rancher":3ni757ok said:
whatsupdoc3":3ni757ok said:
Kids now steal and kill their own families for drug habits or to get their inheritance early.

Oh please! read a little history. Kids have been doing bad stuff since they were invented.

HR, I understand your point, but surely you would agree that the stakes are higher now. The bad stuff that kids did when I was in school was smoking pot, drinking, and playing hookey. I don't remember ever hearing about a kid bringing a gun to school and killing a bunch of people. Also, I don't ever remember hearing about gangs when I was in school. Now we have to have strict dress codes in school to keep kids from wearing gang colors. Just last week a kid got arrested at my daughters high school for bringing a pistol to school in his back pack and showing it off. The school went into lock down for 45 minutes while they got the situation under control. I don't ever remember even hearing the words lock down when I was in high school.

I know kids have always been kids, but our kids have got some real bad examples now and some of them are acting out what the see in society. Take the lyrics in rap music for example. But don't get me started...

A lot of this is my generations fault we gave the kids to much and didn't expect them to work for it.
In my day Dad would holler your chores like hoe the garden, straigheten that bucket of nails etc.
There was not a lot of idle time, and the TV wasn't for the kids when you get a picture better than two polar bears fighting in a snowstorm. I was the antenna adjuster as there was a 24" pipe wrench on the pole and a pair of channel locks on the TV to change the channel, heck I was the remote. There was the news and you had better be quite when it was on and shows like Ed Sullivan and I love Lucy.
There is no way todays generation knows how to raise or kill food and process it. The thing I have nightmares about is a food embargo. Let the local grocery store shut down it would get ugly fast.
You used to see people in town with Victory gardens not much in more.

This thread has got me wondering. I'm reading about inflation of everything. I have always thought prices were too high. I guess that is normal thinking for a old guy that was raised poor, and like all of us, has had to work hard for what we have. Sometimes it is difficult to talk about these subjects as we all come from different backgrounds and circumstances. I am reading all the different threads and I am beginning to see that we all have the same goals: Prosperity and living life as best we can. I have always tried to help some one when they are down. With that in mind, I am wondering who is going to help America. We all need fertilizer for our fields. Why can't our government only allow the sale of the surplus to foreign countries. That would also keep our beef prices at a premium for export. If our Government does not do something to help our farmers we are all going to get hungry. If I am wrong, correct me. Just my thoughts

whatsupdoc3":eqvt9vc4 said:
kerley":eqvt9vc4 said:
This thread has got me wondering. I'm reading about inflation of everything. I have always thought prices were too high. I guess that is normal thinking for a old guy that was raised poor, and like all of us, has had to work hard for what we have. Sometimes it is difficult to talk about these subjects as we all come from different backgrounds and circumstances. I am reading all the different threads and I am beginning to see that we all have the same goals: Prosperity and living life as best we can. I have always tried to help some one when they are down. With that in mind, I am wondering who is going to help America. We all need fertilizer for our fields. Why can't our government only allow the sale of the surplus to foreign countries. That would also keep our beef prices at a premium for export. If our Government does not do something to help our farmers we are all going to get hungry. If I am wrong, correct me. Just my thoughts

They call it free trade. I call it greed made. A lot of shortages are manipulated to get the price up. That said once the price is up theres plenty of it. The word that comes to mind is collusion. Number one problem in the world today when it comes to the market system. Used to be a prosecutable offense still is problem to many ingoverment involed in it as well as starting it.

An example that comes to mind a new car company releases a new model. They purposely hold back the numbers the dealers receive. This allows the dealers to make inflated profits buy allowing them to gouge for ammounts way abovesticker. One car that comes to mind pt crusier people paid 5000 a pop over list when it was released. Now they are droping the model. I for one know there market share would have been bigger if these shenanigans had not taken place. I was going to buy one when they did this I would not own one if they gave it to me.
I think your right to a certain extent, they say fuel is high because of an oil shortage, if there were a shortage when they come in here they would tell me that I could only get part of a tank but, if I've got the money they have all I want .If the oil companies are not gouging where are those record profits coming from ? As far as the PT Cruiser, hey buddy you lucked out there . ;-)

Larry

whatsupdoc3":tifgyiir said:
kerley":tifgyiir said:

They call it free trade. I call it greed made. A lot of shortages are manipulated to get the price up. That said once the price is up theres plenty of it. The word that comes to mind is collusion. Number one problem in the world today when it comes to the market system. Used to be a prosecutable offense still is problem to many ingoverment involed in it as well as starting it.

An example that comes to mind a new car company releases a new model. They purposely hold back the numbers the dealers receive. This allows the dealers to make inflated profits buy allowing them to gouge for ammounts way abovesticker. One car that comes to mind pt crusier people paid 5000 a pop over list when it was released. Now they are droping the model. I for one know there market share would have been bigger if these shenanigans had not taken place. I was going to buy one when they did this I would not own one if they gave it to me.

It is free trade who held a gun to those people and made them buy that model? They wanted it, did not need it, they bought that car of there own free will. Do you not try to get the most nickels for your product? As cattlemen we are a poor group, we wont organize and put pressure on the consumer or government. We all want to be totally independent and you see where that has got us.
The corn farmers are much smarter than we are and have been for years with there lobby.

Indirectly on the subject of gas, I saw a deal last night that said the chinese are adding 14,000 cars a day.

I'm aware of free trade and PT Cruisers. I also know that out Government can raise or lower tariffs on imports and exports as they see fit. So why can't they raise the tariffs on exports until our needs are met and we have a surplus. Why does our Government not protect the farmers, they are and always have been the backbone of this great nation.

Caustic Burno":27ft5d5e said:
dun":27ft5d5e said:
Indirectly on the subject of gas, I saw a deal last night that said the chinese are adding 14,000 cars a day.

There a lot of Chnamen too, China has moved into the 20th century.

I couldn;t believe the road conjestion they showed. They have highways as good as the states and they were just as clogged as the roads here.

dun":1nz7h1pa said:
Caustic Burno":1nz7h1pa said:
dun":1nz7h1pa said:

There a lot of Chnamen too, China has moved into the 20th century.

I couldn;t believe the road conjestion they showed. They have highways as good as the states and they were just as clogged as the roads here.

My uncle just got back from China. He wore a mask the whole time there, because the air is almost thick enough to plow.

Tod Dague":zftrvlbo said:
Caustic Burno":zftrvlbo said:
I relly didn't know where to put this question .

I was wondering today how many of the board member's have actually survived a bad recession messin with cattle like in the 70's.
The bottom completely fell out of the cattle market.
Not me. Born in '72. :tiphat:

I'm a '71 model and only remember what seemed to me at the time as a mild downturn. I'm sure it was much more serious for my folks.

I don't think most people these days truly realize how much our standard of living has risen from that of prior generations. But I am lucky in that I know much of how my grandparents and great grandparents lived. My dad grew up without running water or indoor plumbing. My grandma cooked on a wood stove back then. Meat and vegetables was whatever they raised. They passed those memories on to me and I don't forget them.

If today's generation would have to go back to a similar standard of living I wonder how many could adapt.

Caustic Burno":1b6drxsl said:
There is no way todays generation knows how to raise or kill food and process it. The thing I have nightmares about is a food embargo. Let the local grocery store shut down it would get ugly fast.
You used to see people in town with Victory gardens not much in more.

Two things CB.

At one point I swore I never own cattle. Never say never on that one.

I also swore I'd never have a garden. So far so good :lol:

Dad made me hoe one row of the garden every day. It didn't hurt me none. The garden was always about three times as big as what we could possibly eat. The hoe part was much easier in my teens but kind of tough as a young un. It had to be done right too. Plus there was all the weed and grass shaking early on. The compost had to be turned. Then there was the fall garden but it wasn't as big.

Pea shelling time you had your big bowl to shell. You didn't dare get up and go to the bathroom and leave it in your chair because your siblings would dump theirs in it. You picked your basket early when the picking was good. :lol: Then you had to go shell them out for Momma to can. One basket picked and shelled every day for each kid. Not bad. That shelling could be done under the shade tree or in the house. Of course the hulls went to compost. Everything went to the compost.

I don't want to garden. Couldn't I just trade some good feral pork for some veggies instead of growing them?

This is a very interesting thread. I was born in 61, finished high school in 79, got married in 80. Looking back the hardest years for me were 82 through 84. During that period i remember people saying the U.S. was in a resession. I really dont know what a resession is. I do know this during that time i could not get a job of any kind. And i do mean of any kind. Even though i was in my early 20's during that time and i did not have really any job skills before thoes couple of years i could always get a job of some sort. It may have been doing farm labor of some type or working at a chicken processing plant that could not keep employees because of the jobs being either to nasty for people to want them or to hard or something else wrong with them.

But during the years of 82 through 84 ( The resession years ) you could not even get a job at that chicken processing plant because the people who had a job there was hanging on to it. And every wheres else, if a person had a job they were hanging onto it. And most factorys or other places of employment was not hiring. The farmers were not hiring for farm labor. So i guess if you had a job then you probably did not notice the resession.

I remember traveling to Houston Texas during that time to look for work.(my new wife was originally from there and according to her father i would be able to find a job there.) So we stayed with the wifes grand parents while i looked for work. Everyday i would go out and look for work and i was not picky at all. I would have dug ditches for a quarter a mile if i had of been offered the job.

I would park my truck and walk to as many different plants & factorys as i could putting in applications and asking for a job. I went to the unemployment office every day. And i could not get a job.

My daughter was born in 1982 So i can not tell you how bad i needed a job. I would go out and pick up aluminum cans sometimes just tring to make a little money.

I know alot of people will read this and think it is just a line of bull that if a person wanted a job bad enough they could get one doing something. And maybe i just did not look in the right places but for a little over a year i could not find employment. I wound up going to school on the GI bill just to have some sort of income and in hopes of learning a trade. I at least felt i was doing something to better myself during thoes times.

And today i am still not sure what a resession is. But i can tell you this i sure hope i am not out of a job if we ever have another one. Because from what i learned about the one i went through was this. If you was working you probably hardly noticed the country was in a resession but if you was out of work there was just no hope in sight. I remember the unemployment rate was really high during that time also.

I am sure a resession affects all americans in different ways like cattle farmers, truckers, construction workers. Kids like i was then who are new to having to make a living without any job skills to begin with. So the way i see it a resession can take on alot of different forms.

Stepper I don't remmember what the unemployment was for the country, but 18 to 20% comes to mind.
The difference in recession and depression in a recession your neighbor is out of work a depression you are.