Wolves

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Some of the neighbors are having wolf issues. Yesterday they found another confirmed wolf kill. That makes 4 confirmed in the last 10 days. The state is supposed to issue a kill peermit after 2 confirmed kills. I don't know if they have issued it yet. But one way or another I believe a war on wolves is about to erupt.

The entire SSS doesn't work here. Most of this country is too rocky to dig a fence post hole. So it is GSS, that stands for Gut Shoot Shut up. Use a gun big enough for the bullet to go all the way through. Make sure to hit them far enough back that the liver and lungs don't get hit. Hit the stomach or intestines and they will die a few days later miles away. No proof of who did the shooting.

The entire SSS doesn't work here. Most of this country is too rocky to dig a fence post hole. So it is GSS, that stands for Gut Shoot Shut up. Use a gun big enough for the bullet to go all the way through. Make sure to hit them far enough back that the liver and lungs don't get hit. Hit the stomach or intestines and they will die a few days later miles away. No proof of who did the shooting
Just use FMJ :)

In this case they have been fully cooperative with the powers to be. So an attempt to quietly wipe out the pack may work against them. Even if you get issued a kill permit it is not like you turn in the dead wolves. You leave everything where it fell and the state police investigates.
Just a few miles away on the other side of the river in Idaho there is a bounty on wolves. Season is open year around and the cattlemen's, sportsman groups, and others will pay $1,000 for every wolf you kill and you get to keep the hide. There are people working this as a job. History repeats it's self.

Dave, what's the penalty if you kill a wolf?
I believe you would get off easier for shooting a human.

They think that they will get the kill permit tomorrow. I think they should shoot the two alphas. The others will just disband. The rest might winter kill. Certainly the pups will. The yearlings? Hopefully they won't be able to catch enough on their own to survive.

Just a few miles away on the other side of the river in Idaho there is a bounty on wolves. Season is open year around and the cattlemen's, sportsman groups, and others will pay $1,000 for every wolf you kill and you get to keep the hide. There are people working this as a job. History repeats it's self.
An expensive way to reduce unemployment.

Who does the kill confirmation and the issues the permit ?
The game dept. They skin the carcass and measure the bite marks. That is local game people. The kill permit comes from Salem (state capital). The locals fill out the paper work and send it to the higher ups for approval.

An expensive way to reduce unemployment.
It is cheaper than having game dept people do the control work and more effective. The sportsman groups are trying to save what little is left of the state elk herd. And killing about 90% of the wolves might keep the cattle men in business.

It is cheaper than having game dept people do the control work and more effective. The sportsman groups are trying to save what little is left of the state elk herd. And killing about 90% of the wolves might keep the cattle men in business.
I get updates from ODFW on the wolf activity. Had wondered how close they were getting to you. They know some have been to the westside but didn't seem to stay.

My grandmother grew up in Wyoming and had absolutely no use for wolves. She said they would hamstring young horses and not kill them, but the colt would be crippled for life if it did survive. She had wolf hounds and helped remove them. I have know respect for the wolf.

The coyote I admire and respect, even though I have dealt with his destructiveness. I am not aware of the coyote having ever been protected, yet he has survived traps, snares, poison, being snipe shot, hunted with dogs and hunted from airplanes. The wolf was not smart enough to survive all the coyote has.

My bucket list includes "shoot a wolf"

I get updates from ODFW on the wolf activity. Had wondered how close they were getting to you. They know some have been to the westside but didn't seem to stay.

I took this picture this morning. The wolves are all over that ridge the sun is coming over. I-84 is between me and that ridge. So far there are no known packs this side of the highway in this location.

Attachments

• P8102620.JPG
    P8102620.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 10
I took this picture this morning. The wolves are all over that ridge the sun is coming over. I-84 is between me and that ridge. So far there are no known packs this side of the highway in this location.
I hope they stay away

Latest posts