Wintertime trail drive... pic heavy

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2vm1knb5 said:
Where are the trees you must hide behind on such a journey?

No input no output...

L Weir -- this is the first time I've done it, last year I was planning to but a heavy snow meant the ranch had to make an emergency cattle drive before I was done with finals.

Misty -- I tried the one I picked up at the pawn shop and determined it was too narrow, so I used one of the other ancient ones here at the ranch and it was wide enough. He seemed comfortable and I didn't see any pressure spots after stripping the saddle off at the end of the day. I'm still in the market for a saddle though.

They actually get trucked out in the spring; calves are too young to make that long drive. Mid-May will be the spring roundup, critters get trucked out a few weeks after that. We still rope and drag calves to the fire; I'll get pics come springtime for y'all.

If you are draging to the fire I assume you are branding. Is that required or just the only way to keep up with them. Looking forward to more pictures.

Good pictures of a different part of the country than what I am used to.
It looks like that road just goes on and on into the horizon with no change. I can't help but wonder how you know when you get there :? .

Fabulous pictures. To say we don't do it like that around here is an understatement. That is really neat.

Kenny -- it's a case of "trust everyone, but brand your cattle." We still have cattle rustlers out west. Another issue is that when cows get mixed with the neighbors herd brands make it a lot easier to sort. And when cows get out on the highway or railroad and the highway patrol or RR folks need to call the owner, they can look at the brand and know who to call. My uncle's brand takes up nearly the entire ribcage of the cow for easy identification. :lol2:

Milkmaid, I'm very jealous. That is some gorgeous country out there. Looks like a "trip" all of us would enjoy at least one. I'd probably do much better tho in a pickup. :oops:

Maybe I'm missing something, but with temps like that how is there any water for them to drink? Is it deep enough to not all be frozen and they break it open?

tncattle -- you're referring to the creek? It was shallow, knee deep at the most with a few open spots (running water) and the herd just waded in to get a drink. When they're out on the range they have a huge stock tank and we do break ice for them when it gets too thick. They can also eat snow.

milkmaid":3d6b1pg8 said:
Kenny -- it's a case of "trust everyone, but brand your cattle." We still have cattle rustlers out west. Another issue is that when cows get mixed with the neighbors herd brands make it a lot easier to sort. And when cows get out on the highway or railroad and the highway patrol or RR folks need to call the owner, they can look at the brand and know who to call. My uncle's brand takes up nearly the entire ribcage of the cow for easy identification. :lol2:

Cattle must be selling higher in your area. You could not pay someone to steal cattle here. Not worth their time and effort. Everything else needs watched.