Wintered dead grass question

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I have some grass that was not eaten down from last summer because I was letting my pasture rest. Have some areas with jiggs, some bahia, and some johnson grass. Cows are back in there now, but aren't touching the dead wintered stuff, just the green rye and clover.

Is it necessary to shred these areas soon (i.e. can that old laid over grass harm the new spring growth?). Or, will it eventually rot down and not affect the spring resprout?

Trying to get my grasses back from 2011 and want to do everything possible to help it out.

Thanks in advance.

jsm":3f9y9c01 said:
All,
I have some grass that was not eaten down from last summer because I was letting my pasture rest. Have some areas with jiggs, some bahia, and some johnson grass. Cows are back in there now, but aren't touching the dead wintered stuff, just the green rye and clover.

Is it necessary to shred these areas soon (i.e. can that old laid over grass harm the new spring growth?). Or, will it eventually rot down and not affect the spring resprout?

Trying to get my grasses back from 2011 and want to do everything possible to help it out.

Thanks in advance.
No need to shred. It will grow just fine.

Thats a tough one to answer, I have always scalped mine down in the spring. I have no proof, but having done it most years and not doing it some years, all I can say is the years I cleaned it up , the better the pastures grew.

Now having stated that I am in a bit of a holding pattern as well with my pastures as well. Two years ago when we were going into our terrible drought I was unable to clip my pastures in the spring as usual because of health problems. All the cattle had been sold off the pastures the previous fall, so I had about 5" of growth or standing stubble, whatever you want to call it. I went through the drought and lost no grass whats so ever. The drought year I didnt clip my pastures at all until the late fall. I believe having that tall grass saved my pastures because the heat and sun could not get at the roots.

Im concerned this crazy weather pattern we seem to be in is going to put us back in a drought. For that reason I will be holding back on scalping the pastures.

I agree - leave it. They will get a few bites of it with the green ryegrass / clover and it will add roughage to balance out the high protein new growth. It will help to retain moisture and shade the soil. It will feed the earthworms / soil microbes. I used to burn this off -- wrong thing to do!

Thanks for the replies. I agree that my area seems to be pushing back towards a drought. Not good.....

I wouldn't burn it off but if it's super think and tall as some johnson grass can be I would shred it. It can delay your spring growth because of the shading. I would at least shred the johnson grass areas if really thick.

Latest posts