winter wheat, another question

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What brand of winter wheat is best to plant in Missouri? If your there Stocky, you seem to know alot about winter wheat.

GMN

Not stocky but here goes anyway.
The most common certified seed around hre is Cardinal. We don;t buy certified stuff anymore, too expensive unless I was going to combine it and sell it. We use straight run stuff from the local area. Since it's grown locally I assume it's mostly Cardinal anyway.

dun

Dun,

Even here in my part of the world - folks are moving away from certified seed and strating to go with straight bin run - unless it is to be sold.

GMN

You could try the same thing.

Just grab some seed from a neighbour or from your local mill. It is usually the pretty good on a local basis and often there is a substantial savings in purchase cost.

Count out two or three batches of 100 seeds. Put them on a wet paper towel on a dish. If you get more than 90% germination it is good to go.

Now I have made some generalizations. You plan to sell this to a mill - you might want to eplore other options - but "farmer seed" often is as good as that other stuff.

This is the reason folks like Monsanto hate people likeme. We tend to grow a decent crop of grain - and give those lying cheating *&^%%^$#%$# nothing! :D

Bez?

Bez?":fuvkts01 said:
Count out two or three batches of 100 seeds. Put them on a wet paper towel on a dish. If you get more than 90% germination it is good to go.

Aught to post that in the tips and tricks section.

PS: What if I can only count to 21? :lol:

Bez?":t4u61urj said:
Dun,

Even here in my part of the world - folks are moving away from certified seed and strating to go with straight bin run - unless it is to be sold.

GMN

You could try the same thing.

Just grab some seed from a neighbour or from your local mill. It is usually the pretty good on a local basis and often there is a substantial savings in purchase cost.

This is the reason folks like Monsanto hate people likeme. We tend to grow a decent crop of grain - and give those lying cheating *&^%%^$#%$# nothing! :D

Very interesting about the germination and the paper towel.

Do I sense a little annoyance with Monsanto? :D :D :D
Bez?

3MR":1jcjt0kv said:
Bez?":1jcjt0kv said:

Aught to post that in the tips and tricks section.

PS: What if I can only count to 21? :lol:

throw them all in the pot if most germinate your good to go.

GMN I checked with MFA Fairgrove. Last year it ran $9.70 per 100. They don't carry named varities but call it something like koolgrazer. It's kinda amazing to me. It's tough to get a stand overseeded and harrowed on grass pasture. But the volunteer grows in the asphalt along the parking lots and roads around the co-op's where I was raised. Just spill alittle and boom wheat your having to weed eat or mow.

dj":j66hs009 said:
GMN I checked with MFA Fairgrove. Last year it ran $9.70 per 100. They don't carry named varities but call it something like koolgrazer. It's kinda amazing to me. It's tough to get a stand overseeded and harrowed on grass pasture. But the volunteer grows in the asphalt along the parking lots and roads around the co-op's where I was raised. Just spill alittle and boom wheat your having to weed eat or mow.

Thanks for that info. I checked with my flyer for Nixa Hardware and see, they have koolgrazer rye, which is sold out, and wheat no brand name for 6.95 I'm assuming this is a bushel. I'll have to check with the local MFA's at a later date.

GMN

Latest posts