winter or late fall forage

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i live in central ky and was thinking of planting something that i could pasture this fall or early winter to keep from feeding as much hay. i was told to try greens, then i was told to try rye grass. anybody have any input i plan on using about 5acres. there will be about ten cows feeding on it

For right now, I would use ryegrass, cheap and grows quick, ten cows on five acres won't last all that long on the best of ground with the most efficient cattle You could put up a hot wire and strip graze it and make them eat every bit of it.

Herefordcross":2sciiylg said:
For right now, I would use ryegrass, cheap and grows quick, ten cows on five acres won't last all that long on the best of ground with the most efficient cattle You could put up a hot wire and strip graze it and make them eat every bit of it.

Ryegrass works for me too, but it's getting a little expensive the past few years. I've been quoted at $19 this Fall.

i got about 4 50lbs bags of ryegrass should i broadcast it or drill it. will 4 bags do 4 acres and will it come back early spring.

Drilling it will give you a better chance to get a good stand.

Rye grass usually does okay in the spring, but you are going to plant now or this fall, graze it all winter, and hope it comes back in the spring, you will have to move the cows off of it for a month or so in the spring.

Good luck.

If you have a drill, drill it if not just broadcast it and run something over it to push it down next to the soil. Rye will grow with minimal seed to soil contact here and should where your at as well.

trin":34gz3kmz said:
i got about 4 50lbs bags of ryegrass should i broadcast it or drill it. will 4 bags do 4 acres and will it come back early spring.

The recommended rates are 20-30 lbs per acre on a prepared seed bed. and 30-40 lbs. per acre broadcast on sod.

The recommended rates are 20-30 lbs per acre on a prepared seed bed. and 30-40 lbs. per acre broadcast on sod.

That depends on the variety and type he bought, we can get this stuff around here for $6.50 a bushel all day long.

One thing to consider with rye is that the stem, driveshaft as I call them, is very tough and can give you trouble with eye poking, etc. so let 'em eat it when it's tender to clean it up.