Winter Leaving Pics?

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Winter is finally loosening it grips on northern Montana- and we're getting Billings type weather :D -- temps got up to near 50 so I felt like packing a camera with me today to take some pics of my buddies..

First one I find in travels today is the little Juanada Lad X OCC Magnitude bull calf...
cows3-6-10011-1.jpg

Heres another picture of him getting lunch from mom- WCR Floret 830..
cows3-6-10024.jpg

Heres WCR Mary 845 with her OCC Magnitude heifer calf..
cows3-6-10014.jpg

The only reason she had the EXT high headed look was she was wondering if I had any cake in my pocket- and little one was looking for a backrub... :p
cows3-6-10020.jpg

And heres one of those EXT great granddaughter (N-Bar Prime Time D806) daughters coming up to nose in....
cows3-6-10021.jpg

Heres another one!!!
cows3-6-10023.jpg

Same heifer- a Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U daughter sired by Prime Time D806.. She was one of our top weaning weight heifers last fall- out of a heifer...
cows3-6-10026.jpg

Since weather is looking nicer- I decided to turn the bulls out of the little dirty corrals I've had them in to make room for corraling heavy cows when the weather was nasty...
I had to kick the Legacy 3R9 son in the rear to get him up- then he had to stretch and relieve himself before he got in to big of a hurry....

cows3-6-10013.jpg

Soon as they hit the bigger corral- it was a bullfight for "king of the turdhill" rights...The Bannon of Wye son on the left- the Legacy 3R9 son on the right...15 minutes later I found them both stretched out on the "turdpile" enjoying the warm sun...
cows3-6-10017.jpg

And on my afternoon check- I found calves laying all over enjoying the warm temps....Problem is- even with all the snow we had-last fall was so dry- nothing is running- and everything is going in the ground which unbelievably has little frost....
cows3-6-10025.jpg

Congrats, I know when it's been cold, 50 degrees feels really nice. Your cattle look great, esp. when I imagine they're red :) They seem pretty easy going too.

And the battle for king of the turdhill... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

2/B or not 2/B":1hiz9kf6 said:
Congrats, I know when it's been cold, 50 degrees feels really nice. Your cattle look great, esp. when I imagine they're red :) They seem pretty easy going too.

And the battle for king of the turdhill... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

As I get older I have culled much harder for docility-- and don't mind them being easy going... I spent enough years playing cowboy- and quiet and easy going seems a lot nicer anymore ...

LOVE the pics... you have nice stock! Thanks, and I'd love to see more.

but for SOME reason I was expecting to see Herefords?? ;-) :p

(Guess I've watched "The Rare Breed" too many times!) :lol: :lol:

:tiphat:

LazyARanch":1ztm94gy said:
LOVE the pics... you have nice stock! Thanks, and I'd love to see more.

but for SOME reason I was expecting to see Herefords?? ;-) :p

(Guess I've watched "The Rare Breed" too many times!) :lol: :lol:

:tiphat:

:lol2: When I was a kid- thats about all you saw in this country...Herefords- and a few shorthorns.....I remember when we got our first black angus bull in the mid 50's- and the neighbors were shocked- and warned us that he would kill us all...Turned out to be a big pet that I rode around the corral ;-)
Still have a few black baldies- but we are slowly going all purebred angus...

Got to 59 here yesterday with a 30+ mph wind- and the snow really went...Supposed to be a little cooler today, with a chance of a shower- but the wind is really howling...Still not a drop of runoff water in the creeks- all going in the ground... No frost in the ground- as I drove a few steel posts yesterday- and they go in easy....We're going to need all the moisture thats supposed to come after the fog- or the dust will be flying soon...
This old Great American Desert can go from one extreme to the next overnight it seems.....

Getting closer to being 1/4 done calving- and running over 80% bull calves.... :shock:

Weather turned nasty during the night- temps dropped- wind came up- and the Canadians decided to share some snow with us- and naturally the cows decided to speed up dropping calves...

cows3-6-10023.jpg

The 12 year old shorttailed cow to the right of the orange 5W eartag decided to have twins....Last year it was two of her daughters that had twins... Neither of those have calved yet this year- altho I already commented a couple weeks ago that one looked like she may have twins again- but I never thought Grandma would...
Definitely a genetic thing!!!

Latest posts