Winter Boots

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of winter boots all of you in cold climates use. I have had Sorrels and now I've got something else right now I can't even remember the name of and they don't keep my feet warm and worst of all they leak! The ones I have now were great when there was no snow, we get snow yesterday and now I'm back to the grocery bag thing on my feet before I put on my boots. They have a year warranty so I am taking them back but I need to find something better. Any recommendations from anyone?

I've got Columbia, they are not real heavy (for REALLY cold), and are fine if you keep moving, it's the standing when the cold creeps in, but I haven't had any problem with leaking and they are going on 3 years now.

I havn't fount one that will keep my feet warm and still fit in the saddle stirrups easy. I have a pair of Rockies (made here pretty local) that I wear to hunt but, again, they are too bulky to ride in.

I just add an extra pair of socks when I'm checking cows.
There is also a boot warmer. You plug it in slide your boots on and when you want them they are nice and cozy warm.

Good luck in your search.

Victoria;
Check out "MUCK BOOTS" and find some wool in-soles and slip inside. Almost as good as Sorels, but lighter. They have different styles I am on my second pair of the "BRITS". I ride everyday in them with little concern.

Love my MUCK BOOTS...don't know what I'd do without them...this is my 2nd year with the same pair. Don't know how warm they'd be in the far north though.

Victoria,

I switched from Sorels to the Baffin winter gumboots (green or black with sorel type full length liners) about four years ago, back when we were doing all the choring with a team.

I really like them. My feet just don't seem to get as cold as they used to. Mind you, I always yank the liners out of them every time I come in the house. Suprising how damp liners can get by even just half an hour outside in the winter.

Should be able to find them in any Peavey Mart or Co-op store...probably your UFA store, as well. Best of all, they're only around thirty bucks a pair. ;-)

Take care and keep your tootsies warm.

Victoria":3t59c3ju said:
I was wondering what kind of winter boots all of you in cold climates use.

For non-riding stuff I have a pair of mukluks (pull out liner) that do really well. For riding stuff, I use a pair of Georgia workbooks with the rubber overshoes over them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
mitchwi: I'm looking for REALLY cold weather boots. Besides having cold weather here my feet get chilled fast. Thanks though.:)

certherfbeef: Not so concerned when I ride, it's when I am standing in the snow. I think I've heard of Rockies, but I could be imagining... will have to look into it.

rross and Gale: Never heard of MUCK BOOTS, will look into it. Now I think I am more looking for water proof and do an in-sole thing. Lighter than Sorels would be good.

CattleAnnie: Checked my boots today and they are Baffin. Got them at Mark's Work Wearhouse. They are the winter boots not gumboots. They are warm though just not water proof. I'll call around about those. Thanks.:)

msscamp: I was just telling my husband this morning that I should never have given away my mukluks that I got as a gift when I was in High School. They weren't in style so I gave them to my older sister. :roll: Now I wish I had them back, I don't want to look cute anymore, I just want to be warm! :lol:

Victoria..I used to buy the cheap boots..finally gave up on that.

Now I wear a pair of Baffin technogly boots. They have 3 layers of insulation in them.They are good for -100Celsius..I bought them 3 or 4 yrs ago at a Marks work wearhouse. I just wear regular dress socks in them.They are darn good boots. I have worked outside for hrs at -40 and not got cold feet.I can,t remember what I payed them but it was likely around that $235.00 Cdn mark with taxes

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2d01gfjg said:
Georgia boot goretex water proof line with 400 gram thinsulate lining. Keep my feet nice and toasty and didnt break the bank at 130 bucks.

An excellent boot for your part of the world.

Entirely insufficient for those in the north.

If Sorel does not work for Victoria then she will have to explore Cattleannie or frenchie methods.

Bez!

frenchie":1g1rrtr3 said:

Now I wear a pair of Baffin technogly boots. They have 3 layers of insulation in them.They are good for -100Celsius..I bought them 3 or 4 yrs ago at a Marks work wearhouse. I just wear regular dress socks in them.They are darn good boots. I have worked outside for hrs at -40 and not got cold feet.I can,t remember what I payed them but it was likely around that $235.00 Cdn mark with taxes

Hi Frenchie,
Those are the boots I have now. They are super warm except that they are not waterproof - at least not in that thick snowman making snow. Maybe I just got a bad pair.

Bez!":1ely85cy said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1ely85cy said:
Georgia boot goretex water proof line with 400 gram thinsulate lining. Keep my feet nice and toasty and didnt break the bank at 130 bucks.

An excellent boot for your part of the world.

Entirely insufficient for those in the north.

If Sorel does not work for Victoria then she will have to explore Cattleannie or frenchie methods.

Bez!

Sorels are not the boot they used to be .I.M.O these boots I have are better made.I have used them lots logging and they have stood up well.

I've tried all sorts of expensive boots....they just get tore up.

Now I just wear those heavy rubber boots with a wool liner in them.

Victoria":25donttn said:
frenchie":25donttn said:

Hi Frenchie,
Those are the boots I have now. They are super warm except that they are not waterproof - at least not in that thick snowman making snow. Maybe I just got a bad pair.

Do they look like this

DCP_0060.jpg

If they do you must have bad seams or something..I never pull the liners out of mine to dry.Lady at the store told me not to.

If those boots are not too old I,d take them back and raise hell

We love our Muck Boots. Me, my dad, and my two brothers all wear them. They are light and warm. My mama fusses about all of the boots outside the door.....but she borrows mine occasionally. ;-)

Victoria,

Wasn't sure which make of Baffins you were using, but here's a quick shot of the ones that keep my tootsies warm and toasty all winter. ;-)

(Pulled the liner out of one just to give an idea on type)

e5655fc1.jpg

Take care.

Annie, Those boots look like sock eaters. My rubber boots eat my socks. My momma and my wife wear knee-hi's over their sock to keep them up when wearing boots. Ain't a gonna happen on these feet!

If you wear socks with decent elastic in the tops, having 'elf feet' at the end of the day doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

I got a chuckle out of the term 'sockeaters', as that's what happens to me with regular gumboots...especially if I'm wearing the old style wool socks without elastic in the tops. :D

Take care.

Thanks for the pics CattleAnnie and Frenchie. You guys are great for putting so much effort into trying to keep my feet warm!
Neither are my Baffin boots. I did check out a website that had different ones listed and mine are rated lower than yours Frenchie, but they are still not supposed to leak so yes they are going back! This is my first winter with them and they have a year warranty. I will see if I can get either of the ones you guys use.

NewCowboy - Your mother probably has the same problems I do finding warm boots! :roll:

gendorf - I should look into that too, I hate being cold.

Latest posts