William Barkly

Help Support CattleToday:

Can anyone help me with this question? I own a year old Angus bull. What age is best to sell him for breeding and at what cost?

He has not been cut. I was gonna try and use him for breeding or sell him when he gets older. I only got a grand in him so I'm wondering if there is room for profit

Angus or whatever breed, the bet age to sell him is however old he is right now. Slaughter bulls are brining more per pound than I can ever remember.
He has not been cut. Was gonna breed him or sell him later. I got a grand invested in him now. What are my best options. I'm a first time buyer of a bull and are just feeling it out to see if I can make a little something

He has not been cut. Was gonna breed him or sell him later. I got a grand invested in him now. What are my best options. I'm a first time buyer of a bull and are just feeling it out to see if I can make a little something
How much does he weigh? Bulls are brining $1.30 to $1.50 per pound right now, depending on how much they weigh. I take it he is not a registered bull? No EPDs, pedigreed papers, etc? No one is going to give you anything for him for breeding. Or do you have cows you wanted to breed to him?

I would say around 6 or 7 hundred pounds easy. Can I still sell him as a slaughter cow if he hasn't been cut? I was wanting to sell him for breeding. What are my options?

How much does he weigh? Bulls are brining $1.30 to $1.50 per pound right now, depending on how much they weigh. I take it he is not a registered bull? No EPDs, pedigreed papers, etc? No one is going to give you anything for him for breeding. Or do you have cows you wanted to breed to him?
Yes I was wanting to breed him I guess because he hasn't been cut and I assume u can't sell him for slaughter if he hasn't been cut? What are my options at this point with a year old Angus bull?

I would say around 6 or 7 hundred pounds easy. Can I still sell him as a slaughter cow if he hasn't been cut? I was wanting to sell him for breeding. What are my options?
If he only weighs 6/700 pounds at a year old he's not breeding stock. Sorry, but that's just a fact. A decent calf will wean at seven months at that weight.

William
We are a small operation that raises a few bulls a year to sell as breeding stock. We generally sell them at 13-15 months of age. We like to see them at 1200 lbs or more at 12 months old to make the cut as breeding stock. If your bull is 1000 lbs or less he needs to be cut and fed longer then sold or sold for slaughter now. Depending how he looks now you should be able to get more than $1000 at a sale barn.

Actually that's what he weighed when I bought him at 6months, I really don't know what he weighs now? But he is bigger and he is well fed. He is in a herd with 8 to 10 other breeder cows . Can I still sell him for slaughter if he hasn't been cut or should I wait and sell his offspring for slaughter?

Actually that's what he weighed when I bought him at 6months, I really don't know what he weighs now? But he is bigger and he is well fed. He is in a herd with 8 to 10 other breeder cows . Can I still sell him for slaughter if he hasn't been cut or should I wait and sell his offspring for slaughter?
Might help to post a good picture from the side. And if you use the "Post reply" at the bottom right the person you are replying to will know who you are talking to and others will be able to follow the conversation.

You can always sell a bull regardless of him being cut.

William
We are a small operation that raises a few bulls a year to sell as breeding stock. We generally sell them at 13-15 months of age. We like to see them at 1200 lbs or more at 12 months old to make the cut as breeding stock. If your bull is 1000 lbs or less he needs to be cut and fed longer then sold or sold for slaughter now. Depending how he looks now you should be able to get more than $1000 at a sale barn.
Thank you for the info. I really am not that educated in this area. I just bought the bull to try and make a little money and I'm weighing my options and trying to figure out what the best way to make a profit is?

It all depends how he looks. And as has been suggested a few pics.
He can still be sold as slaughter even if he hasn't been cut.
It all depends on how much money you have to spend on a replacement bull if you need to buy another to breed your cows. In my opinion a good bull will do more to improve your calf crop than most things you can do. So if you have the money I would suggest to sell this bull and spend some $$$ at a reputable breeder for another bull.

I think the bull you described would be purchased at a discount. Then castrated and re-sold as a feeder steer. ...Just guessing your yearling bull is around 1000 lbs.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take some recent pictures this weekend and probably use him as a breeder for the other cows that are there but do not belong to me. I will have to work something out with the owner of the other cows if they are bred by my bull. I guess the only way to know is if any become pregnant because there is no other bull in the herd. They bring a bull in for that when the time is right. This bull I bought is just one of last years calves that for some reason avoided being cut. At what age will my bull become sexually active in this herd?

I'm gonna take some recent pictures this weekend and probably use him as a breeder for the other cows that are there but do not belong to me. I will have to work something out with the owner of the other cows if they are bred by my bull. I guess the only way to know is if any become pregnant because there is no other bull in the herd. They bring a bull in for that when the time is right. This bull I bought is just one of last years calves that for some reason avoided being cut. At what age will my bull become sexually active in this herd?

It all depends on how much money you have to spend on a replacement bull if you need to buy another to breed your cows. In my opinion a good bull will do more to improve your calf crop than most things you can do. So if you have the money I would suggest to sell this bull and spend some $$$ at a reputable breeder for another bull.

Latest posts