Will they make a comeback?

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
Will the Hereford and Red cattle in general make a comeback? Around here you can count the Reds on one hand and have lot of fingers left.
What about the cattle with ear, when will the sale barns quit docking ?
TIA

curtis":kr1ntiuo said:
Will the Hereford and Red cattle in general make a comeback? Around here you can count the Reds on one hand and have lot of fingers left.
TIA

Not without serious promotion.

It already is in our area. Last week in Mobridge a set of Red Angus calves topped the market on the steers and heifers. Good cattle whatever the color is reaching the top here. It just depends on the area and the buyers. Ff they are all stuck in old school mde, then the blacks will outsell every time. But if you have a barn and buyers with an open mind, it doesn't matter what color they are as long as they are good, that is how they will sell.

curtis":19gaj3eh said:
TIA
talked to a man while back, works at the stockyard said eared cattle will make a comeback, "HERE"..... eared momas especially

curtis":38iqdk78 said:
TIA

Kind of a loaded question there. Herefords and "red" cattle aren't necessarily the same thing. I think Red Angus have been doing well, Herefords not so well, while red Limis and spotted Simmentals have about disappeared (at least around here). We did have a pretty red Limi heifer come through the fence to get to our bull recently, though. She had a good disposition, too. :)

If you describe a "comeback" as reds of equal quality selling better than blacks, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The demand for black cattle is huge. Branded beef programs, plus the fast food "angus" burgers are really taking off. Some of those "angus" burgers may use Red Angus, too. When prices go down, producers look for anything that will help with discounts and possibly earn a premium. And prices seem to be headed down.

IMO, the best thing to do if you don't want to go with black cattle is to feed them yourself. Cut out the sale barn buyer and put them in some sort of retained ownership program. Many state's extension services run a retained ownership program for their producers.

The sale barn is not going to stop docking. Producers are going to have to do something: retained ownership, age and source verification, breed ear tags, video marketing.....

In my limited experience, crappy black calves will out sell crappy red calves. If they're equal quality it's a wash.
The last batch of calves that went to the feeders all but one got a premium. The blacks were cab and if I remember correctly (it's been a year) the reds were sterling silver.

dun":2yeojeaz said:
In my limited experience, crappy black calves will out sell crappy red calves. If they're equal quality it's a wash.
The last batch of calves that went to the feeders all but one got a premium. The blacks were cab and if I remember correctly (it's been a year) the reds were sterling silver.

That's impressive, Dun. I think Sterling Silver uses the same specs as CAB except for the color.

Frankie":2a4uv7io said:
dun":2a4uv7io said:

That's impressive, Dun. I think Sterling Silver uses the same specs as CAB except for the color.
Money was the same so I din;t care. The blacks were half Simmenthal

For those of us who retain ownership and sell on the grid they don't have to make a comeback because they never fell out of style-in fact with Cargill making a AAA Y3 even money if anything Hereford's will be probably grabbing back more market share. I think the Circle A test of Hereford bulls on black cows just augmented the fact that any cattleman knew already-an F1 baldie is a pretty hard critter to beat. Over the years our baldie cattle give us a bit more production than our straight Angus with about one condition score better body condition-it's nothing magic just hybrid vigour. Both breeds are great but their even better when combined.

I don't believe anyone can change how others percieve red cattle or eared cattle --at least in yours and my lifetime. My idea is to produce what makes the most money. If black angus makes the best money--that is what I am going to raise

curtis":3lm4dxiv said:
TIA

It depends on if the packers and other producers will stop wanting black cattle because they might have angus and be better marbling. Eared cattle can go for a lot of money in the south were they are heat tolerant. Just depends on what the buyers want!

There is no problem with a herd of red cows or better yet red herefords, just use a Homo Black bull...You should have alot of Black calves....

Hereford cattle are well and truly on the way back up here in Australia. Eared cattle ( as you US people call them) have never been docked as much as even weedy dry little Angus. Brahman derived breeds nearly always look nice and sleek coated and look much nicer than a woolly British breed. Brahman derived breeds are really creeping south ( our cooler areas) after years of drought. Their hardiness has increased their popularity. Angus are finally coming back to a normal price not over inflated irrespective of quality.

Latest posts