Will she be reproductive?

Help Support CattleToday:

hgfarmer

Reaction score
I have a jersey heifer calf that was a bottle baby. She got the scours REALLY bad and almost died when she was young, but she came through it and is about 6 months old now. Im trying to figure out what im going to do with her. My question is, will she be reproductive? Ive heared when a heifer calve gets that sick, their reproductive system has been scared and they wont breed. Is this true? Lemme know if she is freezer beef or will be a good milker. Thanks

hgfarmer":10agmex1 said:
I have a jersey heifer calf that was a bottle baby. She got the scours REALLY bad and almost died when she was young, but she came through it and is about 6 months old now. Im trying to figure out what im going to do with her. My question is, will she be reproductive? Ive heared when a heifer calve gets that sick, their reproductive system has been scared and they wont breed. Is this true? Lemme know if she is freezer beef or will be a good milker. Thanks

I haven't found that to be true. Keep her and give her a chance; mine have all been fine.

Nah ~
There is no reason scours should affect reproductive ability. If she is healthy now and a good doer ~ give it a whirl.

hgfarmer":qbiwvqg8 said:
My question is, will she be reproductive? Ive heared when a heifer calve gets that sick, their reproductive system has been scared and they wont breed. Is this true? Thanks

I'm not sure what scours has to do with the reproductive system, but I can tell you that what you've been told has never happened in my experience.

The only way I know of that scours would hurt her reproductively is if she had died from them

dun":3jh6sqaw said:
The only way I know of that scours would hurt her reproductively is if she had died from them
ayup ~ I have heard of that now that you mention......

Thanks for the help. I know it was a stupid question, but its what i heard. She is in great health, she is a little stunted though. Will this sffect her, besides being smaller than the others?

My wife used to get scours all the time. Still droped 2 healthy daughters no problem.

Walt

Txwalt":1efgwy2z said:
My wife used to get scours all the time. Still droped 2 healthy daughters no problem.

Walt
Oh Walt, your poor wife.
If you don't get her whatever jewelry she been hinting for for Chrismas .... I just don't know.

HGF ~
Your heifer will be fine. She is small and her size may need to be taken into consideration (just as you would for any small cow/ or any heifer) when you consider a bull for her. Be aware of her when she is calving, pay attention. But being stunted, if she is healthy and doing now, should have no long term health affect as far as I know.

edit ~ Not an stupid question ;-)

Txwalt":53ws5v1a said:

Walt

If you would not feed her turnips and polk green for breakfast she would not have scours.

dun":oxgtruqk said:

Yep, that would definitely hinder reproduction. :lol:

Latest posts