will ink earmarking hinder auction or sale if not registered

Help Support CattleToday:

Brutus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here in WA State. Thank you for your responses!
My daughter wants to earmark our un-registered belties/dunn cross breeds using ink branding. We've been raising them for about 4 years now and are also wanting to find a place to register them if possible.
If we decide to auction or sell them, will the ink branding need to be proven via registration, or should I not be so concerned?

Welcome! If you are referring to tattooing their ears that shouldn't matter if you sell them at a local auction. I think the only time it would need to be verified with paperwork/registration would be if selling for breeding stock as a registered animal to an individual.

Welcome! If you are referring to tattooing their ears that shouldn't matter if you sell them at a local auction. I think the only time it would need to be verified with paperwork/registration would be if selling for breeding stock as a registered animal to an individual.
Thank you that helps us. We had heard it was possible to get held back at the point of sale due to brand verification. That's why I've been searching for similar circumstances. We have records so that shouldn't be an issue.

Hi everyone, new member here in WA State. Thank you for your responses!
My daughter wants to earmark our un-registered belties/dunn cross breeds using ink branding. We've been raising them for about 4 years now and are also wanting to find a place to register them if possible.
If we decide to auction or sell them, will the ink branding need to be proven via registration, or should I not be so concerned?
Welcome to CT!
Tattooing unregistered animals is no problem. With the high prices in the cattle market I highly recommend some sort of permanent identification. Tattoos, freeze brands, and hot iron brands make ownership easier to prove. The only downside to tattoos is that you have to get the animal in a chute to read them.

Latest posts