Wild animals bite!

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
Corn Picking Weekend! Woo Hoo... this is hubby's most favorite thing to do on the farm. Always. Every year. Well, except for this year. Maybe.

Equipment that only gets used once a year is a shame. Equipment that has to sit outside is a crying shame. And equipment that only gets used once a year AND sits outside leaves me in a jam in the pitch dark at 10pm at night cussing the squirrels and mice that used the elevator as a personal storage facility for the past year and me threatening into the dark to throw grenades at anything that moves, cuz bullets would be too good for them dirty, rotten, pine cone storing, nest making varmints!

Corn picking gets shut down Friday night for lack of mechanical parts. UGH!

Saturday morning - Elevator gets fixed, one link and a bit more cussing in the daylight, just for good measure. Just in case any of them no-good, rotten, pine cone hoarding, nest building, varmints were sleeping during my tirade the night before. I certainly didn't want anyone of them to think I overlooked them! Rotten, no-good, etc...

And 4 weeks of mostly rain, followed by high winds, left lodged corn. Which is one of my husbands LEAST favorite things to have to deal with. UGH.

Then we have the deer problem. Rut is going on, and I swear besides the hormonal thing, electric fence destruction is HIGH on the deers list of priority's. WHY, I ask, is this? Do they suddenly forget what the fence is? Do they forget to jump high?

All in all, not a bad weekend. Corn is finally all in, all equipment is greased back up and put away, and when I left the farm tonight, the electric fence was still working...whew!

But them varmints are still there... I am kinda feeling like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. ;-)

Michele

Few years ago we were chasing deer out of our hay. Know what you are talking about. D-Con works pretty good.

I have to buy metal trash cans(trash,dog food,horse feed,goat feed) cause of those rotten tree rats.
They chew the lids on plastic ones.

The drought was so bad this year that the deer started coming to the water tanks to drink- then they found the feed troughs.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to kill them all to get them to quit now.
I can see generations of them feeling comfortable coming to the pens now.

And for the fisrt time EVER I have seen a big rodent- haven't been able to identify it yet- its a gofer or something. No idea where that thing came from- I'm hoping that theres just one odd ball that I am seeing.

Howdyjabo":1zmhcmzf said:
I have to buy metal trash cans(trash,dog food,horse feed,goat feed) cause of those rotten tree rats.
They chew the lids on plastic ones.

The drought was so bad this year that the deer started coming to the water tanks to drink- then they found the feed troughs.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to kill them all to get them to quit now.
I can see generations of them feeling comfortable coming to the pens now.

And for the fisrt time EVER I have seen a big rodent- haven't been able to identify it yet- its a gofer or something. No idea where that thing came from- I'm hoping that theres just one odd ball that I am seeing.
I bet it's a woodchuck.

Latest posts