Wierd Fly

Help Support CattleToday:

Jimmy Buffet, talking about purple passion. " You can't taste the alcohol? That's the plan. What you don't drink I'm gonna pour on you."

I think it's a horse fly, they may have a little different colur / shade in your area but it sounds like a horse fly.

They're hard to kill by just slapping them, we catch them and then pull their heads off, they don't bite after that.
;-)

Txcountryboy - I know EXACTLY what you are talking about - I saw one on Thursday on one of my cows. Dang thing was big enough to throw a saddle on.

It was as big as an average person's nose.

I think it was some variant of a horsefly.

I know what fly you have....It's huge, and I can't figure out what it is either. I've been trying to kill one off one of my cows but havn't had any luck yet. The blood actually drips off the cow when its done. These we have are probably a good 1 1/2" long and jet black. When I kill one I'll post it's picture.
Is there a pour on that will kill flies? I'm using wind & rain minerals with fly repel. It has done a ggod job at keeping the flies down. But I'd really like to see these monsters die!

Horse flys have a piercing almost knife like mouth part that makes a slit in the skin. Frequently they will bled after one feeds. Nothing works for horse flys except a rather elaborate trap and/or waiting till the season passes. Sanitation helps, no mud or wet manure that stays for long periods of time. Other then that it's just one of the curses of livestock.

dun

They need to rename these flies...
"Horse: just doesn't do them justice. B52 bombers maybe. :shock:

KATHYWEEKS":2trbv04n said:
They need to rename these flies...
"Horse: just doesn't do them justice. B52 bombers maybe. :shock:

I was bit (stabbed) by one once. Believe me, I didn;t call it a B52, or even a horse fly

dun

what in the heck is boone's strawberry wine?

not all flies have a 'sticker' that goes straight in. some of them have what is kinda of similar to a saw blade, only they have 2. they saw back and forth to dig into the skin. some of the flies and other biters use their enzymes and spit to deaden the area where they are biting. some, not all.

FYI-female mosquitos are the only one's that bite, the males do not. just a bit of useless knowledge.

cowgirl580":2fzussgl said:
FYI-female mosquitos are the only one's that bite, the males do not. just a bit of useless knowledge.

When they're buzzing around it's just so hard to look between their little legs to tell their gender. I squish them all.

dun

cowgirl580":1aactst9 said:

Heck, didnt figure there any girl (woman) over the age of about 30 who didnt have a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine story. It was the standard modei for cruising when I was a kid in school. The girls would drink the Boones Farm Strawberry (or apple) and the guys would drink the Schlitz malt liquor Baby Bulls. They were the perfect size for launching from the back of a pickup at either a mailbox or anything else that got in the way.
Stupid....of course it was, but like every other high school kid, we were invincible.

eric":3iujn4dz said:
cowgirl580":3iujn4dz said:

Heck, didnt figure there any girl (woman) over the age of about 30 who didnt have a Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine story. It was the standard modei for cruising when I was a kid in school. The girls would drink the Boones Farm Strawberry (or apple) and the guys would drink the Schlitz malt liquor Baby Bulls. They were the perfect size for launching from the back of a pickup at either a mailbox or anything else that got in the way.
Stupid....of course it was, but like every other high school kid, we were invincible.

ah ha, got it now. i'm not over 30. not even near it.....yet. that would be why i don't know it.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":23bpekmg said:
Tonight I saw a wierd fly land on my new heifer. I have never seen a fly like this in the last 4 years that I have been around livestock. It was a very large fly that landed right in the middle of my heifers back. I didnt know what it was, so I had another person come look at it. She didnt know either. It was a dark brown, large wings, kind of flat, had a very large thorax (back end?) with dark brown and lighter brown stripes. Id guess it was a darn near 2 inches long. It started biting her, and from what I could see, it looked like it was sucking blood from her. I slapped it off of her and she was bleeding pretty good from where she was bitten. Later on it landed on the other heifers back leg. I slapped it off of her and it landed at the top of my heifers tail. I slapped that off and it came after me. It flew off and we didnt see it again. It seemed that it always landed where the heifer couldnt reach it. When it was biting my heifer, it was obviously hurting her because of the way she was thrashing and trying to get it off.

Does anyone know anything about these things or a good source to try to find out what it was. I want to make sure it wasnt some rare bug that I may have to get some sort of medicine on the bite.

Go to Tractor Supply and get, I forget exactly what it's called, something like CV or Dairy Barn fly bomb spray. When your in with your heifer's carry the can, when the fly lights on the heifer spray him, this stuff will kill all kinds of horse flies, big and small. Another thing that we have in the stalls of the show cattle, is the country vet atomatic fly sprayer's. They help out alot. The spray a burst of fly spray every few minutes.

Tx -- I'd vote for it being a horsefly also. See them every year on my cows.

We were a bit more "sophisticated" with our beverage choices. Now almost 40 years later, I can fondly recall the delightful bouquet of Ripple, Mad Dog 20/20 and when really wanting to impress someone, Lancers Rose. :lol:

Does anybody remember the other lines of the old limerick that included: What's the price? A dollar twice. What's the reaction? Satisfaction.

All these monster fly sightings makes me glad we live up here in cold country...the gate duster keeps most of our fly problem down to a few face flys.
Glad I'm ont the only one that remembers Boons Farm Strawberry Hill....Oh the good o'l days!

Dairy Bomb and LZ44 works pretty good. If anyone is having trouble find it I can get it for you.

cul8r":160bppbg said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":160bppbg said:
Tonight I saw a wierd fly land on my new heifer. I have never seen a fly like this in the last 4 years that I have been around livestock. It was a very large fly that landed right in the middle of my heifers back. I didnt know what it was, so I had another person come look at it. She didnt know either. It was a dark brown, large wings, kind of flat, had a very large thorax (back end?) with dark brown and lighter brown stripes. Id guess it was a darn near 2 inches long. It started biting her, and from what I could see, it looked like it was sucking blood from her. I slapped it off of her and she was bleeding pretty good from where she was bitten. Later on it landed on the other heifers back leg. I slapped it off of her and it landed at the top of my heifers tail. I slapped that off and it came after me. It flew off and we didnt see it again. It seemed that it always landed where the heifer couldnt reach it. When it was biting my heifer, it was obviously hurting her because of the way she was thrashing and trying to get it off.

Does anyone know anything about these things or a good source to try to find out what it was. I want to make sure it wasnt some rare bug that I may have to get some sort of medicine on the bite.

Go to Tractor Supply and get, I forget exactly what it's called, something like CV or Dairy Barn fly bomb spray. When your in with your heifer's carry the can, when the fly lights on the heifer spray him, this stuff will kill all kinds of horse flies, big and small. Another thing that we have in the stalls of the show cattle, is the country vet atomatic fly sprayer's. They help out alot. The spray a burst of fly spray every few minutes.

Latest posts