Why Registered?

Help Support CattleToday:

baseballno13

Reaction score
I have a question about the registered side of the beef business. What do you do different with a registered herd than you would with just a commercial herd?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to understand things.

Not a whole lot really. Feed and development is the biggest. Initial cost is the biggest factor that holds most back.

Scotty

lots of weighing, measuring, and record keeping.

Really there is a lot more. not going to blow you off like that. What I said at first was the truth. Marketing is different. Staying with the times and not using the same old cows till they die. Some do in the reg. biz. Information on the animal as an idividual vs a whole group of calves bred simillarly.

Scotty

baseballno13":1kt7jfjs said:
I have a question about the registered side of the beef business. What do you do different with a registered herd than you would with just a commercial herd?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to understand things.

The biggest difference is that they straightbreed. A REg. Hereford breeder can ONLY use reg. Hereford bulls crossed to reg. Hereford cows or he is no longer in the business of selling registered Herefords. There is NO crossbreeding in the registered business(except in the creations of composites or F1s; but that is another side of the seedstock biz). A commercial breeder on the other hand typically gets better production by crossing two or three breeds and usually none of the females are registered or purebred. A common commercial herd would be Hereford crossed with Angus cows bred to Simmental or Charolais bulls. The combinations are endless and the quality is very variable. Some commercial guys also straightbreed for simplicity's sake but generally these cows (even if possibly pure) generally are not allowed to be registered.

base....,

Data, records, records, data and more records and data.....as Aero said..... which means a lot more capital in equipment and work with the animals on the registered side. But, if you have an innovative streak it can be rewarding if you venture out in your breeding program. A great deal of analysis and planning is required to achieve goals...which should be set.

The commercial side is generally production oriented and is less time consuming. Although, a well managed commercial herd must have a plan for ongoing improvements of the terminal product if you wish to sweeten the bottom line.

The difference in herd investment is much greater on the registered side.

Thank you all for your responses. That helps a lot. A friend of mine was going to trade a registered angus heifer for me because he owes me a favor. I was just trying to see what I would be getting myself into.

So do you generally still sell the bull calves at a salebarn or would it be better to hang on to them until they mature and sell them as bulls.

Thanks again.

almost all registered breeders sell 1-2 yr old bulls at sales just for this purpose. some breeders have their own organized sales and others send their bulls to test stations which usually include selling the animal at the end of the gain test.

baseballno13":vqsmcrjc said:
Thank you all for your responses. That helps a lot. A friend of mine was going to trade a registered angus heifer for me because he owes me a favor. I was just trying to see what I would be getting myself into.

So do you generally still sell the bull calves at a salebarn or would it be better to hang on to them until they mature and sell them as bulls.

Thanks again.

You can sell them any way you want. I am in the biz for the bulls. No one said you had to raise registered cattle just becasue you have a registered heifer. Pleanty of registered animals used commercially. A large % of my heifers sell comercially. I offer the papers and usually don't have any takers on them. Last year sold 10 yearlings at jordans special sale Best of the Best for 1200 open. Bangs vac. and weight around 850 lbs.

Scotty

baseballno13":ep3agc32 said:

Thanks again.
Probaly your best bet is to castrate him and sell at the sale barn.

base.....,

I do not like to sell a good genetic bull at the sale barn and never have. We have private treaty sales 2 years out with deposits. If the buyer decides at the last minute that he doesn't want the bull we gladly refund the money no questions asked. Generally we have a back-up waiting list currently standing at five. If you look around you I bet you will find commercial herdsmen in your area looking for a good bull.

Private treaty is more rewarding for both the buyer and seller.

For the seller he can rely on seeing the bull in the normal environment and feels a little more secure in his purchase...depending on the attitude of the seller. Generally he will be able to see sire and dam or at least the dam. If he has a future problem of some kind he has a redress.

I believe the seller can earn a few more dollars in the transaction and gain a prospective future customer. In most cases he can maintain a follow up for performance evaluation data because all sire uses are not recorded. Far from it. Many are never registered. Certs are only obtained in about one half of purchases and it doesn't seem that more that one half of them are ever filed. He can also follow up on any unusual problems and be available to help get them corrected for obvious reasons.

We think it is a win win program.

preston39":13f2gasv said:
base.....,

I do not like to sell a good genetic bull at the sale barn and never have. We have private treaty sales 2 years out with deposits.

So you never have a cull bull calf? You may need to use the knife more often.

Latest posts