Why people eat beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
In reading an article with the above title, I came across this:

"A 1974 Texas A&M study mixed lean muscle and fat from six different species and determined it was the fat that carried the taste in every species. Whatever the species of fat, that's what the ground product tasted like."

I know it's old, but does anyone have any idea where that study might be ordered or found online? I did a Google search with no results. Thanks....

i tried to search the "Journal of Animal Science" and couldn't find a hit or match for any of the keywords. it's possible that 1974 is too far back to be online.

here is a link to the Texas A&M Meat Science Dept faculty. you might try sending one of them an e-mail with your question.

http://meat.tamu.edu/people.html

Txag, thanks. I guess the info is just too old to be readily available. But, IMO, this bit of info does show the importance of marbling in beef.

Frankie, maybe I'm missing something, but I thought everyone knew it was the fat(marbling) that gives the beef it's flavor. :?

Most folks think its the meat. People will buy a very trim, low marbling piece of meat b/c they think its better and don't realize that the more imf then the better the eating experience.

Ryan

You're welcome.

My Meats class and Marketing of Livestock and Meats class really taught me a lot about consumers and different views of meat. Some pretty interesting stuff.

Ryan

I'll bet it was. Figuring out what the consumer is going to do would pretty much have to be a full time job, I'm thinking!

Last week, I took a Beef 706 course from A&M. What an eye opener! They gave us a book that had a lot of information from Beef Quality Audits of 1974, 1985, 1990, 1995. The next audit is in progress. But, there was a section on why people eat beef.

I didn't read it, but my thoughts are:

Cause it don't taste like chicken! :lol:

Chicken has a taste without the marinades, sauces, goo and stuff put on it? Hmmm, I never noticed! ;-)

msscamp":29uva8pp said:
Chicken has a taste without the marinades, sauces, goo and stuff put on it? Hmmm, I never noticed! ;-)

I was unaware of any taste chicken had without all the stuff put on it. :D

Ryan

Latest posts