Why is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":2obhc2zt said:
Would you rather have jewelry?

No, I would rather have guns, ammo, fishing tackle.... But buy a woman something that she has to work with and watch the response.

Dave":3sizei4c said:
Rafter S":3sizei4c said:
Would you rather have jewelry?

No, I would rather have guns, ammo, fishing tackle.... But buy a woman something that she has to work with and watch the response.

No thank you. I'd like to think I'm smarter than that (though I'll admit I haven't always been).

Well, Dave, maybe I'm complicated but after managing the ranch by myself for essentially a year (prior & after my husbands surgery) he wanted to get me something fabulous for Christmas. He actually found a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings that I liked but what I really want is a small, maybe 14' bumper pull stock trailer because I absolutely suck at backing up that big-azz gooseneck and it's a pain when you only need to haul a couple cows/bulls/whatever. And there's a flannel shirt I really like from LL Bean. Over the years my priorities have changed. BTW he's getting ridiculously expensive recliner.

TCRanch":3pdfbpkq said:
Well, Dave, maybe I'm complicated but after managing the ranch by myself for essentially a year (prior & after my husbands surgery) he wanted to get me something fabulous for Christmas. He actually found a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings that I liked but what I really want is a small, maybe 14' bumper pull stock trailer because I absolutely suck at backing up that big-azz gooseneck and it's a pain when you only need to haul a couple cows/bulls/whatever. And there's a flannel shirt I really like from LL Bean. Over the years my priorities have changed. BTW he's getting ridiculously expensive recliner.

The big one is easier to back.

ALACOWMAN":blsf7sby said:
Yep, and if you can back a bumper pull pretty handy..goosenecks are a breeze...
Really? I can back the Versa Tote & the dump trailer no problem but the stock trailer takes multiple tries. Went to the vet 15 minutes early because I was afraid it would take me that long to back into the unloading pen - and it did. Even backing/parking it in the exact spot where he likes it is a major ordeal. Self fulfilling prophesy or nerves? Smaller one would still be much easier to pull into some of the pastures, etc. Plan B: they do make small goosenecks.

TCRanch":2fkvx0du said:

Ima need you to speak to my wife please!!!!!

Bestoutwest":3f4pes09 said:
My wife would prefer tools. Seems like I won one.

While I do like jewelry, I prefer something that I can use. One of the better gifts my husband has given to me was a cordless drill. I loved the vacuum cleaner he gave me a few years ago (yes, really). He even gave me a blender one time. I was very happy to get all of those gifts! He has also given me a couple of very pretty necklaces. A few years ago, he gave me a great set of heavy-duty jumper cables. The gun case was a nice idea as well.

I guess I'm one of those odd ones.

I know there are women who like tools. My wife is one of those. In fact I would be in trouble if I bought her jewelry. I comment was about all the ads pushing things for Christmas gifts.

Dave":rlxsogpt said:
I know there are women who like tools. My wife is one of those. In fact I would be in trouble if I bought her jewelry. I comment was about all the ads pushing things for Christmas gifts.
Those ads are disgusting. I read a book once that stated there is a glut of diamonds but they limit output to keep demand high and use advertising to make people think they're valuable.

TCRanch":24t4fbvn said:

The others are right about shorter trailers being harder to back. It's a matter of geometry. When you turn the steering wheel you get more reaction from a shorter trailer.

I had a job years ago where I drove a truck with a 24-foot bed, pulling a trailer that was just barely long enough to hold a skid steer. That little short trailer would get jacknifed beside that long truck in a heartbeat. After getting used to that I can back anything.

I'll give y'all a hint. Most women aren't nearly as into jewelry as the ads would want you to believe. What I would actually love is a tech consultant on retainer!!!
We have pretty much given up on getting each other "big" gifts and instead take a nice vacation. New Zealand in two months! Combination 25th anniversary and Christmas presents to ourselves

Workinonit Farm":g5lf6uik said:
Bestoutwest":g5lf6uik said:

While I do like jewelry, I prefer something that I can use. One of the better gifts my husband has given to me was a cordless drill. I loved the vacuum cleaner he gave me a few years ago (yes, really). He even gave me a blender one time. I was very happy to get all of those gifts! He has also given me a couple of very pretty necklaces. A few years ago, he gave me a great set of heavy-duty jumper cables. The gun case was a nice idea as well.

Yes! I wanted an Oreck in the worst way so that's what I got one year. Named her Fifi and the bonus hand-held with the attachments is Fifi's Lil' Sister. 12 years later I still love her :heart:

Rafter S":2malub7s said:
TCRanch":2malub7s said:

The others are right about shorter trailers being harder to back. It's a matter of geometry. When you turn the steering wheel you get more reaction from a shorter trailer.

I had a job years ago where I drove a truck with a 24-foot bed, pulling a trailer that was just barely long enough to hold a skid steer. That little short trailer would get jacknifed beside that long truck in a heartbeat. After getting used to that I can back anything.
So practice must make perfect and I (fortunately?) haven't had enough practice backing the stock trailer. Y'all are making me re-think my wish list.

TCRanch":2eucb3r0 said:
Workinonit Farm":2eucb3r0 said:
Bestoutwest":2eucb3r0 said:

Yes! I wanted an Oreck in the worst way so that's what I got one year. Named her Fifi and the bonus hand-held with the attachments is Fifi's Lil' Sister. 12 years later I still love her :heart:
That's the best present I've ever bought my wife, sometimes I think she loves those vacuum cleaners more than me.