Why is it Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

bullrider

Reaction score
Why is the angus breed more typically used in colder weather and higher elevations?

because that is where they came from originaly. like brahman came from tropical climates they were bred for the enviroment. a good breed for harsh weather are galloways easy keeping and tough.

Caustic Burno":200bxvy2 said:
There are three esential breeds in the US Angus, Brahman and Hereford you can operate anywhere in the US with these breeds or crosses of the three.
i agree but one needs too be plucked from the mix past I20

Caustic Burno":3cxlsh0b said:
There are three esential breeds in the US Angus, Brahman and Hereford you can operate anywhere in the US with these breeds or crosses of the three.

I am pretty sure Brahman wouldn't make the cold that SD, ND, MT, MN and a few other states have.

BRG":1phcmxhq said:
Caustic Burno":1phcmxhq said:

I am pretty sure Brahman wouldn't make the cold that SD, ND, MT, MN and a few other states have.
they might survive,,, but whats the point?

Caustic Burno":1bs2xkeg said:

I believe we need to add Red Poll to the list

bullrider":3n3qgjg3 said:
Why is the angus breed more typically used in colder weather and higher elevations?

I don't believe it is. Angus cattle are being raised successfully in all parts of the US. The south and southeast part of the country has seen a lot of Angus growth over the last 5-10 years.

As narrow as C.B. point of view is, I agree with him, the 3 breeds named would be all that is needed..

It might be just as true to say all you need is Red Polled, Homo Black Gelbvieh, and Brimmers

Or any number of ( 1 english breed, 1 cont. breed, and 1 hot weather breed ) combos....

The point here is not and one breed does it all, they mix well together, or as some would say (The more color, the more better).

alftn":1eji8uut said:
As narrow as C.B. point of view is, I agree with him, the 3 breeds named would be all that is needed..

It might be just as true to say all you need is Red Polled, Homo Black Gelbvieh, and Brimmers

Or any number of ( 1 english breed, 1 cont. breed, and 1 hot weather breed ) combos....

The point here is not and one breed does it all, they mix well together, or as some would say (The more color, the more better).
well it would be black baldies in the north, or tigers bred back to angus in the south

jcarkie":1f08wjsc said:
because that is where they came from originaly.

very few mountains in the UK and the tallest ones are about 4000 feet. PAP scoring usually doesnt start until the animal is over 5000 ft.

maybe cold, but not much altitude.

alacattleman":29g01g4g said:
alftn":29g01g4g said:

well it would be black baldies in the north, or tigers bred back to angus in the south
Rather have a tigerstripe mom with a Charolais bull than an Angus. More lbs of calf to sell.

bc that is the best statement i have ever heard on these boards.they need to add charlois to that list.i also believe a braford cow bred to a charlois bull is the best u can get.that cow will do it by herself without taking a bath all day in the pond

Latest posts