Why do people feel so free on private property

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Why do people feel so free to go on private property? I have no major issues, but annoyances. I came in the other day, and a wire gate was lying beside the road and the top wire that hooks it to the post was broken. It's turkey season, so I assume some Goober came looking around, accidentally broke the gate, and just went off and left it.

Aside from my cousin, we stopped letting anyone hunt years ago; again, an annoyance. If someone asks one time to hunt, they act as though it's a lifetime pass to just show up anytime. I also don't understand why people put hunting stands near line fences. I'd rather have mine in the middle of my property so I don't annoy the neighbor. I even had a friend who said he was riding his four wheeler around on his own property, came upon a deer stand on the neighbor's property, but very close to the line, and the neighbor got angry and said he was disturbing his hunting. My thought would be, too bad!
And I won't even get into people who think they can ride four wheelers wherever they choose.

The thing that gets me is that people who do this are not usually mentally challenged or from another planet and unfamiliar with our customs, but it is usually what most would otherwise consider, normal people. I'm in KY; this may not happen in other states.

herofan":1fkt60w5 said:
I'm in KY; this may not happen in other states.
I live a quarter mile off the road, you can't see my house either. Happened here quite a bit until I put up signs about camera's. Still happens occasionally. For sure a KY thing, usually some old guy out driving around with nothing better to do who thinks it's his right. Sometimes they come down to take a leak.

"I just wanted to see what was back there", you'll here that a lot.

I may put up a gate eventually, hate to do that, but might have to.

We some issues with that sort of thing too. Have an entrance on down the road from the house, usually can find evidence of somebody having been down there. Had a gate up, but it got torn up. On the back of the farm, have found turtle jugs set out in the pond.

This week:
A family member called to see if he could take his 18 year old daughter turkey hunting. I said sure. Family member ends up not going, and 18 year old boyfriend takes 18 year old family member. Next days just the boyfriend comes. The very next day, he brings a cab full of young men, that are obviously skipping school. Amazing how in 3 days time, that things can get so out of whack. Saw the kid from a distance thanksgiving, and never even spoke to him. Suddenly, where family. The ignorance of taking a place over in 3 days time, when I couldn't pick him out of a lineup, just blows my mind.

Try having a 6000 acre hunting lease border your property, in their mind they leased the whole county. You would think going from pine plantation to fenced pasture with hardwood bottom would be an indication we are not on the lease to them.

I battle this very problem all the time. I've came to the conclusion that alot of people can't read. I'll tell us this though, once you start pressing charges against the trespassers word gets around.

We have a 60 acre fully stocked watershed lake on the property & we do let a lot of our friends fish but people we don't even know show up all the time - sometimes pulling their boat - and expect us to just let them fish. Ummmm, NO. There are a couple people that are allowed to turkey hunt with bows (absolutely no guns) but we do not allow deer hunting (or quail, pheasant, etc). It's not that we're jerks but as a property owner, if you allow hunting/fishing/4-wheeling/anything else, you accept the liability. If an unfortunate accident occurs on your property, the person(s) involved may not seek retribution but their family members can - and will.

Rented hunting rights last year to a guy who had a super nice track and 3 safes full of guns. Seems like he could buy some land.

But in answer to you question - They are not paying for it so they don't appreciate it.

it happens everwhere. I gave a guy permission to cross my property to get to the river to fish. he fished a few times then he brings a friend with him. then friend shows up alone. then the friend brings a friend i see strangers leaving my property around dusk. had to tell them no more fishing.

Add a person add a problem. This may sound heartless but if you give permission to one person many times this permission will expand exponentially. I can always tell when turkey season is about two weeks out. I don't even need a calendar because "old friends" who I haven't seen in a year - well since last turkey season - will drop by to see how I'm doing.

Funny story. Friend of mine had a guy show up at his house selling fresh fish. Already filleted and iced down. He bought them from the guy on several occasions then one day he asked him where he got his fish. The fella pointed down to HIS pond. Needless to say he wasn't too thrilled about that and he disrupted his supply chain. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts