Whole Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

franseen

Reaction score
Does anyone out there feed their steers whole corn? We have been for a couple of years and they seem to do pretty good. We sell our beef privately and raise the steers from our cow calf operation. Nearly all of them are purebreed Limousin. We can usually feed them out by 13 to 15 months. Some however lag behind. Would using cracked corn help. They get about one to two pounds of hay per day with free choice corn. Of course this does not start until about nine to ten months of age and they are weaned onto the heavy corn ration from a less aggressive ration. Thanks for any suggestions.

jerry27150":1fz5dcai said:
my feed book claims ground corn has more energy than cracked & cracked has more energy than whole

how much more?

jt

We just bought a new steer stuffer and we are going do a test. Cracked corn in one and whole corn in another. In seperate pens. Using calves with the same sire in each. Thanks for the help folks.

We bought the steer stuffer from a neighbor who found he couldn't make a good profit feeding out 5 holstein steers a year. If I walked outside right now I could see the name and tell you it. It is orange. Paid 200 for it. Rented is pasture and barn too. What do you mean by feed book.

franseen":2mxs6krz said:
We bought the steer stuffer from a neighbor who found he couldn't make a good profit feeding out 5 holstein steers a year. If I walked outside right now I could see the name and tell you it. It is orange. Paid 200 for it. Rented is pasture and barn too. What do you mean by feed book.

The question was to jerry27150

dun

A steer stuffer as we call it is a feeder with a big bing on top. The troughs have doors on it so only a little corn can get out at a time. Keeps the feed dry and clean. Lets animals have free choice without gorging themselves.

Latest posts