Who started from nothing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jackson

Reaction score
Was wondering who started raising cattle and now have a good size herd with no family land given to them or sharing family land with parents or siblings?
And started with no cows inherited, or inherited equipment, etc.
Was wondering how you did it?

Bought land and started from scratch. Actually we've done that several times as we've relocated. What we have is pretty much from sweat equity and not borrowing. Turn profits from previous places into newer places with better potential.

I can't remember anything ever being given to me except a good whipping a few times, lots of advice and encouragement and a lot of lessons in hard work and fiscal responsibility.

Jackson":1imzb32v said:
Was wondering who started raising cattle and now have a good size herd with no family land given to them or sharing family land with parents or siblings?

I had land given to me and some equip. but bought all my own cattle.. I have purchased a bit more land and cattle and equipment. all through sweat equity and this continues to present day.

skyhightree1":1truq6jf said:
Jackson":1truq6jf said:

I had land given to me and some equip. but bought all my own cattle.. I have purchased a bit more land and cattle and equipment. all through sweat equity and this continues to present day.

Is raising cattle your only income?

Jackson":3rwxgyou said:
skyhightree1":3rwxgyou said:
Jackson":3rwxgyou said:

Is raising cattle your only income?

No sir anything I can make money off of is my income... I own a business, sell used farm equipment, hay, Build run in sheds , Decks, sheds, and sell feed for animals, Sell pigs etc... If I can make a dollar and its legal I will do it.

skyhightree1":26zo1zyu said:
Jackson":26zo1zyu said:
Do you have a day job dun?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jackson, I believe the proper way to word that question would, Dun what did you do for a day job? Dun is one of our senior members. Rumor has it that his social security number is #1.

I started out entirely on my own. There is about 70 head out there now. I could have done a lot better but I spent my 20's and 30's chasing wild women. As the saying goes I spent half my money on wine women and song and just wasted the other half. Then I went through a divorce at 50 that pretty much wiped me out so I got to start over again.
I went to college a couple of guys who actually started with less than me who now own thousands of acres and hundreds of cows. They both married ladies who shared their vision. They started working a day job and running cows on leased land in the evenings and weekends. It didn't happen over night but eventually they got to the point where they just run the ranch.
There was another guy who I went to college with whose parents had a huge ranch. A few years back he sold out before he lost it all. When he sold it wasn't 25% of what he inherited.
The questions that you need to ask yourself is how hard are you willing to work, what are you willing to sacrifice, and how good of a manager can you be?

Its relative to the sweat equity I presume. I spent every single minute I had away from school on my grandparents farm from being in the way till I was 18 yo , about 1000 head of hogs 250 head of cows, peanuts, corn, beans, Oats, and sorghum. My grandmother specifically told my dad to give me the house and 40 acres. I knew nothing about it until the day of her funeral in 95. My grandfather passed in 99 and I had just bought a house and a 8 acres. I sold what I had bought and took a small loan out on the home to remodel it for a family of 5. So I had a mortgage on the place since I moved in. all of the equipment was sold all I had was a couple of dilapidated barns and 4 rusted out grain bins. I bought a 1974 johndeere tractor for 6k it took me 4 yrs to pay it off , every time I had enough money to buy a cow or calf I would for about 5 years then as I made more money In my day job I could afford to buy a couple of small herds and I kept a few best heifers each yr. I rent about 30 acres of non tilliable land from my brothers trust. all equipment I have has been purchased from auction or dug out of a scrap pile and I fix it. I am actively working to get another 33 acres bought and I will be able to expand . with that expansion I will be able to rent the other 50 acres in the trust from the farmer for the 6 months it lays out with just a cover crop on it. I have utilized it some in the past but this year I will fully use it to my advantage.

I believe the proper way to word that question would, Dun what did you do for a day job

AH ok I got ya. I am an idiot.

21yrs

Jackson":3ksizvku said:
I believe the proper way to word that question would, Dun what did you do for a day job

21yrs

Jackson one thing id like to say to you is everything doesn't happen overnight for most folks know your goals and work towards them it wont be easy.

TexasBred":2ho7h1n9 said:
I can't remember anything ever being given to me except a good whipping a few times, lots of advice and encouragement and a lot of lessons in hard work and fiscal responsibility.

Right there with you. One thing that was given to me was know how. And knowing I didn't want to do some things too.

At 16 or 17 years old I vowed to never own a cow.

Most I have ever run was 94? momma cows. 20 of those needed culling.

I inherited 28 acres in Marshall, TX. Never put a cow on it. Never done anything with it. Got it late in the game. Its 200 miles away. My nephews and cousins deer hunt on it. Uncles properties adjoin it. No need to sell it. Taxes are not bad.

Dad did give us a freezer steer one year. For Christmas. We paid for processing. So I can't really say no one ever gave me a "cow"

skyhightree1":2ggzhn5s said:
Jackson":2ggzhn5s said:

21yrs

Jackson one thing id like to say to you is everything doesn't happen overnight for most folks know your goals and work towards them it wont be easy.

yes sir I would like to have what a lot of you folks have one day, big spread pastures and cattle. I like seeing it, the whole process. I wish could do it for a living. It is interesting to hear the way people get started and build it up from nothing. I guess it can be done.

Jackson":1mk4f166 said:
skyhightree1":1mk4f166 said:
Jackson":1mk4f166 said:

21yrs

yes sir I would like to have what a lot of you folks have one day, big spread pastures and cattle. I like seeing it, the whole process. I wish could do it for a living. It is interesting to hear the way people get started and build it up from nothing. I guess it can be done.

If you gotta eat an elephant, best way to get it done is one bite at a time. Too many people choke to death trying to swallow too much.

Jackson":3oejrnbk said:

21yrs

You aren't an idiot. You just haven't been here long enough to know these things. Believe me if you act like an idiot someone here will be quick to point it out.

Latest posts