Whipping Okra

Help Support CattleToday:

Some folkes just cut the bottom leaves off as they pick. I don't do it.
Others say whip it with an aprin to knock off some of the leaves if it stops producing.
I just let mine grow and we seem to make plenty. We planted in the short rows this year so she only has 8 rows that are 150 to 30 feet long.

I always gave them a high and tight with scissors. It made it a better picking experience as well. Can't wait till next year. I've been out of it for a couple of years.

Wewild":3ork3w83 said:
I always gave them a high and tight with scissors. It made it a better picking experience as well. Can't wait till next year. I've been out of it for a couple of years.

We will be having way more than we can use this year. If any one wants to set up an apointment to pick just let me know and ew won't pick for two days and you can come get a load. It should make two buckets per picking if you pick on a 3 day rotation.

alabama":1rgaxnzx said:
We will be having way more than we can use this year. If any one wants to set up an apointment to pick just let me know and ew won't pick for two days and you can come get a load. It should make two buckets per picking if you pick on a 3 day rotation.

I have found this board refreshing. I would like to come pick some but I think the fuel cost would offset a monetary payback. I'm sure it would be worth it for the time spent though.

We are building a new house about 8 miles North of here. I'm already planning for next years garden. I got to figure out how to ward off the deer.